Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  General Discussion -> Operating System & Software -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

James 1:5 (NIV) ... If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Windows 7 User Account Controls (UAC)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 10/17/2011 8:40 AM (#3100)
Subject: Windows 7 User Account Controls (UAC)

Owner/Admin

I need some help from you Windows 7 masters out there.

I'm finally upgrading from XP to Win7 Pro on an older laptop (32bit). In process of doing this, it saved my old stuff in a backup folder and created a fresh Windows installation. Which is fine with me.

BUT ... the Win7 approach to security is driving me nuts. I'm used to having simple Administrator access to everything in XP. My Win7 update correctly set me up AS an Administrator on the new installation ... BUT, I keep getting hit by prompts that don't allow me to open certain folders or delete or rename or move certain files. I have even tried lowering the UAC threshold to the bottom of the slider and that does not help.

How do I modify the settings so that these blocking-prompts GO AWAY? If I click thru the various links, I get what seems to be circular-non-help explanations ... and I think once it asked me for my admin password ... I typed that in (the same password that I log in with) ... but it would not accept it. I am the only user on this machine ... it's not linked to an intranet ... and I did not change my password during or after the upgrade.

I was also getting annoying prompts coming up asking permission to run OT and VT virtually every time, too. By lowering the slider to the bottom it got rid of those.

This is a really annoying "feature". I like the idea of extra protection, but I want to be IN CONTROL of it.

I hope someone out there who really knows this stuff can help. I'm tired of guessing and experimenting.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GregHenry
Posted 10/17/2011 8:55 AM (#3101 - in reply to #3100)

Friend

Jim

Give this a try.

Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts ---- then go to Change User Account Control settings You should have been prompted for a restart as well.

(Having read more closely it appears you may have tried this..)

Edited by GregHenry 10/17/2011 9:07 AM
RossKovacs
Posted 10/17/2011 9:01 AM (#3102 - in reply to #3100)

Veteran

Hi Jim,

I am definitely not a Windows 7 master.
But I believe that tweek #5 of "Speed Up Windows 7 – Ultimate Guide To Make Windows 7 Blazing Fast!!!" will do it for you.
You may also want to look at the other tweeks in the guide:

http://www.computingunleashed.com/speed-up-windows-7-ultimate-guide...

SteveLuerman
Posted 10/17/2011 9:07 AM (#3103 - in reply to #3100)

Elite

Hi Jim,
This might be what you are running into. I have not enabled this. But perhaps this is what you are looking for:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-accoun...

The other thing that you may be trying to do is to change the location of the folders in C:\users\your-id (e.g. Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, and Virtual Machines). The way to do that is to right-click->Properties->Location->Move. I have relocated most of the above list of folders to D:\Users\Steve because I like to keep my personal data separate from the OS managed data. I would recommend that you leave unused folders where they are, and not move system managed folders (e.g. Desktop, Links, Saved Games, Searches) or hidden folders (e.g. AppData).

I'll be heading to the office in a while. So, may not have an opportunity to respond until this evening to any other questions.

Steve
TonyJackson
Posted 10/17/2011 9:11 AM (#3104 - in reply to #3100)

Spectator

Check out http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-...
Might be what you're looking for.
SteveLuerman
Posted 10/17/2011 9:23 AM (#3105 - in reply to #3100)

Elite

By the way, you shouldn't have to lower UAC settings to eliminate prompts to "run" OT and VT. I have the UAC settings at "Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer". I get prompts during install and updates, but not for normal execution.

Steve
JimDean
Posted 10/17/2011 9:50 AM (#3106 - in reply to #3105)

Owner/Admin

WOW, guys ... thank you all for the quick replies. I even got an email from someone else about it.

This gives me a lot to check on and fiddle with. Steve's most recent reply, that I *should* not need to lower UAC settings to get OT to run without a prompt level ... unfortunately fact is that I *did* have to lower it ... I started a level 3 then level 2 and finally got them to stop appearing at level 1 ... maybe this is indicative of the overall problem I am facing.

I'll do the research and let you know what I determined. I might just try restarting the installation from scratch, without doing an upgrade ... but ouch that is a lot of update-downloading that I'd rather not repeat. Just going thru that process, plus installing N stuff, took the better part of a day.

Thanks again for your helpful and quick responses!
RicCampbell
Posted 10/18/2011 6:56 PM (#3114 - in reply to #3100)

Friend

Look into Acronis True Image Plus which makes a binary back up image which is transportable through OS and hardware changes without having to think about it
ric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.