Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  OT ToolBox Modules -> Integrated Brokerage -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

2 Chronicles 27:6 (NKJV) … So Jotham became mighty, because he prepared his ways before the Lord his God.

Competition from Speed Traders
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
KeithMcIntyre
Posted 9/16/2010 12:21 PM (#904)
Subject: Competition from Speed Traders

Curtis,

Hola from a fellow Sun Diegite!

I have found issues trading Forex on short term charts (1M, 5M). I don't want to sound paranoid, but brokers are in it to make money. They can make money scalping a little off a large number of trades. Scalping a little doesn't hurt too much trading EOD, but little scalps when trading 1M bars, where the target profit is pennies (or pips) can totally ruin a system that appears to work when backtested.

CNBC has been running a series on "Man vs Machine". The speed traders (machines) they are talking of have very high bandwidth feeds, tons of computing power, and relationships with brokerages that we home players simply can't duplicate.

IMO OT, OP, Integrated Brokerage (the other IB), OD just doesn't stand a chance of competing on short term scalping trades.

(Sorry if I'm a little off topic...)

Keith

Thread moved by JimThorpe on 9/16/2010 9:41 PM from OmniTrader HowTos > OT Functional-Archtecture > Competition from Speed Traders

Top of the page Bottom of the page
RicCampbell
Posted 9/18/2010 12:21 PM (#925 - in reply to #904)
Subject: Competition from Speed Traders

Friend

It is a little scary walking into the same arena as guys with this amount of advantages i.e. computer power, direct floor connection, details of the full orders book, big money, international research staffs, etc.

The bottom line is that we will never be able to match it.
It's unfair, but we need to find niches where the big boy can't move as fast.
We have a good program, but it could be far faster and more powerful if it was designed to run in 64 bit and was multi-threaded to take advantage of the amazing hardware fire power that is unused by most software. Now this is a very big job, but I would be willing to pay additional club dues if Nirvana were to undertake this project.

Thread moved by JimThorpe on 9/16/2010 9:41 PM from OmniTrader HowTos > OT Functional-Archtecture > Competition from Speed Traders

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.