|Tools, Techniques, and Training for Nirvana Platforms|
|OmniTrader, VisualTrader, OmniFunds & OmniVest|
|Matthew 22:19-21 (ESV) … "Show me the coin for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” They said, “Caesar’s.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”|
| Put your Post in the Proper Place Please|
USA: GA, Lawrenceville
|An important foundational principle of this Forum is to keep things organized ... so that our Forum can act as an effective knowledgebase for a long time to come. We have ONE CHANCE to make this work ... if we do it FROM THE START. Otherwise we'll just end up with a mishmash. |
If you'd like to help me avoid having to do lots of "housekeeping" work, it means that everyone who makes a post needs to take responsibility to go through a simple mental exercise ahead of time:
1. What Section of the Forum is the appropriate one for this Post to go into? Each section has its own purpose or focus - please pick the right one.
2. What Room of the Section is the intended content of this Post best suited for? Sometimes there might be several candidate Rooms ... please pick the best one you can find.
3. Does my post fit the core (initial) theme of an existing Thread in the appropriate Section and Room? If so, post a Reply to that thread. If not, start a new Thread.
4. When you start a Thread, please try to pick a Subject-title that is specific and focused on what you are writing about ... general Subjects end up with confusing, wandering Threads.
5. If your Post is not a good fit to the theme of an existing thread, but it is somewhat related to that other thread ... then include a link in your post TO that related thread.
If you do a good job of #1-5, I won't need to do a lot of housekeeping. Nor will the Room Moderators who volunteer to help with stuff like this. So, to make things easy for others to find and utilize for years to come, please copy those five steps into a sticky note that you can use as a regular guideline when you make posts.
Thanks! On everybody's behalf!
PS: Sometimes you need to "be on guard" that even though the recent posts of a Thread might "fit" your post ... that Thread may have ALREADY DRIFTED from its original purpose. So, pay close attention to the Subject of the Thread, and to the Post or two that it started with. Let's try to avoid long, meandering threads that have a potpourri of different kinds of information in them. Thanks!
USA: GA, Lawrenceville
|Q/A about Threads that are Locked |
Many of the Rooms in the TradeTight Forum will have one or more Threads that are "locked/frozen" (ie cannot be replied to) ... and usually those threads will be "thumbtacked/stickied" to the top of the list. This is done for threads that are intended for "pure Admin" or "pure tutorial" purposes. They are thumbtacked so that you can find them easily, and locked so that posts with Q/A & discussion about them don't turn the thread into a mishmash of information.
HOWEVER, questions, comments, discussion, etc are definitely ENCOURAGED for those threads as well as for others that aren't "locked".
If you have another topic you'd like to open for discussion in that Room, then PLEASE FEEL FREE to start a new Thread about it ... please make the title of your thread as "focused" as possible.
If you have QUESTIONS or COMMENTS about ANY of the "locked" threads, please either:
1. Post them in the unlocked Q/A thread, with a reference (or link) to the thread they refer to ... OR ...
2. Start up a new Q/A thread related to a specific locked thread (if you think it will be a long discussion). If you do this, please include a LINK to the locked thread in your initial post.
We're trying to keep things organized. Hopefully this approach will help.
USA: GA, Lawrenceville
|If the Email-Notice Link Does not Work |
Sometimes a New-Post(NP) or Thread-Prompt(TP) email notification will have a link that goes nowhere. There are a couple of ways to deal with this:
1. Look for the same Author (possibly a different Title) in the Daily Digest report - that link will VERY likely be correct,
2. Use the Search function for the date reported by the NP, with a portion of the text in the NP
The reason this happens is Admin/Moderator housekeeping. When users add a post to an existing Thread that does not fit with the title and focus of that Thread, then I have to MOVE the post to a more appropriate Thread ... or, more likely, start a new Thread with a title that is appropriate for the info in that post. I *usually* try to do this housekeeping immediately, so that a pile of Replies don't occur down that new rabbit trail. Sorting out all that can be a real PAIN.
When I have to do this, the original "link" put in the NP/TP notice is broken. So, when you click on it, it won't go anywhere. OTOH, since the Daily-Digest(DD) email is generated at 3am after the day's shenanigans are finished, the links there will be correct - at least if my housekeeping is not delayed. You should be able to find the post there ... but it will have a different Thread title than your NP/TP notice originally provided.
This problem can be nearly eliminated if Users will carefully consider the Topic of a Thread before Replying to it. Please read the post at the beginning of this Thread for the guidelines that you should be using. Thanks!
|Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.|