Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  General Discussion -> Operating System & Software -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

1 Timothy 6:6-8 (ESV) … Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment,  for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

Keeping things Clean
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
BobRomans
Posted 7/22/2010 5:10 PM (#531)
Subject: Keeping things Clean

Spectator

Diskeeper costs 39.95 and has limited installs. I am leery about leaving programs running in the background at all times. I usually find that free programs such as Defraggler are more than sufficient.
Keeping everything up to date using Secunia PSI is a must. And carefully using CCleaner gets keep things running smoothly. Another program to free up disk space, remove temp files, etc very easily is Cleanup!

There are some new nasty viruses and trojan's out there so a very good antivirus and internet security program running such as Kaspersky Internet Security is a must. I report phishing emails to the security department of banks sometimes. In just the process of forwarding a phishing message Kaspersky found that a hidden trojan was attached to the message.

Going to Adobe Acrobat and turning off Javascript is an important prevention of trojans and viruses as Javascript is the main method that hackers are getting access to computers. The fix can be done by going to Edit, Preferences, then Javascript and un-checking the box. Also using script blocking addons such as NoScript are necessary. I like the must faster browser Chrome. Chrome added the feature to turn off Javascript but allow exceptions. How to: Chrome exceptions Also you can click a little icon in the browser address window to allow javascript.

More info about Javascript threats: A Word About Javascript
Or just search for these on the web:
javascript vulnerability
javascript warning
javascript threat

One program I do run in the background is wcgrid.org which allows me to chose projects to contribute idle computer time. So even while sleeping my computers can try to find a cure for cancer and other diseases.

Thread moved by on 7/22/2010 9:05 PM from General Discussion > Computer Hardware > Keeping things Clean

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MikeSullivan
Posted 7/22/2010 7:36 PM (#532 - in reply to #531)
Subject: Upgrading Your PC

Hi Bob,
Just an FYI that we use Diskeeper Enterprise version in the Gov't agency where I work, on 3,000 + employee workstations for many years now with no problems. It keeps us from having to go around periodically and manually defragging each workstation. I have personally used the Pro Premier version on my Home Office PC with no problems for many years also.
While I currently use it on my new build, I exclude the SSD drive.

I can also highly recommend Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite Extreme as a complete AntiVirus/AntiSpam and internet security solution. I've used it for many years through all it's incarnations. However, I have to disable their Browser Security portion (formerly called ForceField) because it somehow intereferes with the functioning of Camtasia Studio Recorder.

I also highly recommend "MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" which catches and corrects malware that the other products don't catch.

And lastly, the current version 9 of System Mechanic, which cleans the registry, optimizes internet use, optimizes startup, backs up the registry, security vulnerabilities, and others too numerous to mention.

Mike

Thread moved by on 7/22/2010 9:05 PM from General Discussion > Computer Hardware > Keeping things Clean

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.