|Tools, Techniques, and Training for Nirvana Platforms|
|OmniTrader, VisualTrader, OmniFunds & OmniVest|
|1 Cor 15:58 (NET) ... Always be outstanding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.|
| Getting started with Strategies and SW|
|Hi all, |
I’m a newbie with strategies and SW and need some guidance with defining MTVpowr parameters to allow SW to test different presets. I’ll show some pics and pls comment on what I need to fix.
1. I updated the posted MTV sample strategy with MTVpowr so the filter blocks look like the format in the pic1 (SW_parameter_2016-07-29.png). This works fine.
2. However, now I would like to use SW to execute specific MTV Guru permutations defined in the preset file to find the best pattern. Later, I’ll lock the best pattern in as the default value in the strategy and define other variations of the best pattern in the MTV preset file to further fine tune the best pattern.
a. How do I define parameters in the OT strategy to allow SW to cycle through different MTV permutations in the preset file? See pic2 (SW_parameter_2016-07-29a.png).
i. Are there specific names that have to be assigned for different MTVpowr arguments?
ii. Where can I find the MTVpowr parameter names as I will want to fine tune other MTV parameters after locking the best Guru pattern?
iii. When I tried to use SW on the strategy with the parameter shown in pic2, SW eventually timed out with the error shown in pic3 (SW_parameter_2016-07-29b.png).
* Does the highlighted SW filter in pic3 look correct for cycling the the guru patterns in the MTV preset file?
* Any suggestions on how to cut down on time to execute each preset configuration?
3. Listening to Ed’s presentation on SW with NTB charts, he said 3000-5000 bars were needed.
a. For my needs with mutual funds, how many bars would be recommended for use in the BT/FT for Weekly and Heikinashi charts?
b. Do I need to synchronize and have the same data periods and same number of bars in both OT and SW?
4. Would you ever use MTV on a lower timeframe in the TradePlan block to exit a strategy?
Could someone provide an example screenshot of how MTV might look in a TradePlan block?
5. After I find my ideal strategy with MTV filters, can I just copy this to VT strategy folder, or are there additional tuning/adjustments needed?
6. Other recommendations? - I have a 401K retirement account where I am locked into a non-supported N brokerage acct (Fidelity) with ~20 mutual funds and 401K “Brokerage Link” account where I can also trade stocks, ETFs, etc.
a. Since OV doesn’t support mutual funds and N doesn’t have a trade processor interface to Fidelity, I am forced to create one OT profile and manage a fixed list of mutual funds inside OT.
i. I’ll only trade on long signals on weekly charts and maybe look at Heikinashi – daily for exits.
ii. I have to stay in my mutual fund positions for more than 30days min or Fidelity hits me for a short-term trading fee, and it if happens too often they downgrade the frequency of which I can place trades.
iii. Any suggestions/comments on how to use MTV, or what to watchout for with managing this type of mutual fund profile in OT?
iv. Some of the mutual funds target very different markets eg. SP500, international, emerging markets, real estate. I wouldn't be surprised if the were different best Guru patterns for each different type of mutual fund rather than trying to force the same best guru pattern to different sectors.
- If I fould there were different best guru patterns for different mutual funds, would this suggest splitting the mutual fund profile into multiple profiles?
- Is there a way with the preset file to tell MTV for certain symbols, sectors, to use a different preset configuration?
* Could this be interesting as a future enhancement as this capability would make the MTV default preset configuration adaptive within the profile, dependent upon the symbol?
b. I’ll have a second profile to manage the Fidelity Brokerage Link stocks & ETFs and look at strategy long and short signals. I can also buy calls/puts but no spreads.
i. I expect to use primarily Daily and Heikinashi charts.
ii. There’s no restriction to trading frequency
iii. Since I will be purchasing puts for the short positions in the 401K account, any advice on how to adjust the trade plan, profile or use of the MTV parameters. i.e. should there be a separate strategy for longs and shorts (puts)?
c. What’s might be interesting in the future is to export the signals from OT to Fidelity’s Wealth-Lab Pro platform where automated trade execution is possible.
Edited by BobSchmitz 7/31/2016 3:11 PM
SW_parameter_2016-07-29.png (30KB - 2 downloads)
SW_parameter_2016-07-29a.png (31KB - 1 downloads)
SW_parameter_2016-07-29b.png (49KB - 1 downloads)
|Sorry for the long post above. I don't seem to be able to edit the original post and have to submit a reply. I'll be more concise. Since my last posting, I've purchased a couple old N seminars and answered some of my questions. |
1) I updated the MTV Sample strategy.
There are two MTVpowr filters shown, one for shorts and the other for long signals for the MTV default preset configuration (last parameter is -2). See SW_parameter_2016-07-29.png and SW_parameter_2016-07-29a.png, respectively. Are these correctly defined? - Aside from the difference where the short filter preset configuration is hard coded to 0, and the other uses a parameter...
2) I'm still a little puzzled why my custom system fires long and short signals on HA-D charts but not weekly charts. I expect it's something obvious. Any suggestions?
Edited by BobSchmitz 8/21/2016 6:59 PM
SW_parameter_2016-07-29.png (30KB - 0 downloads)
SW_parameter_2016-07-29a.png (31KB - 0 downloads)
USA: GA, Lawrenceville
|Filters look ok offhand (did not count commas ;-). |
Maybe you need more weekly bars loaded? For MTV, 600 bars usually is plenty.
|Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.|