Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  Custom TradeTight Routines -> MTV Market Trend & Volatility -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

1 Timothy 6:6-7 (NKJV) ... Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

Sticky Useful MTV Application Tips
Frozen
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 6/11/2016 10:35 AM (#8797)
Subject: Useful MTV Application Tips

Owner/Admin

I will be creating a lot of videos about application of MTV, but there will be some "application" questions that come in which are likely of interest to most users. If those questions can be answered easily in writing, I'll do it in this thread. So, the posts here aren't particularly "organized", but they hold valuable info. You can email me, or post questions in the Questions thread, here: tradetight.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1298

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimDean
Posted 6/11/2016 11:19 AM (#8798 - in reply to #8797)

Owner/Admin

Lots of people want to know how to use MTV in a Filter Block ... and probably its primary role ... so here's a brief discussion about it. I am assuming that you know how to open Strategy Builder and "generally" know your way around Filter Blocks ... this post will just address how to apply an MTV function-call in the formula field for Long and Short.

**1. Find the pattern that you wish to use as a starting point, by "playing with the sliders" as you view MTV on a chart.

**2. Once you've found a reasonable Pattern, open the Menu and look for the option that provides an MTV Function call. All three MTV's ... final input = 0: Powr & Flex Menu item #5; Edge, in the middle of the popup. The function-call is pre-formatted to match whatever you've input for that Pattern, and to return the "T.V" option, using the "-1" final parameter.

**3. Copy the blue-highlighted formula from the popup (for Edge, just retype it) into a NotePad form to hold it temporarily and edit it. Then close the Menu and return the final input to a nonzero value.

**4. "Most" MTV filter-block formulae probably will use only Trend or only Volatility information ... you have two choices to "isolate" that info for use in a formula ... keep in mind that all the Return outputs have both an integer and a decimal "compartment":

4a. To isolate the Trend component, **either**:
4a1. apply "int(MTV(...))", with the last input = -2, and compare to "0" as the "Flat" value
...... very-Bearish = -4, and very-Bullish = +4, when you use this method
4a2. input "int(MTV(...))", with the last input = -1, and compare to "5" as the "Flat" value
...... very-Bearish = 1, and very-Bullish = 9, when you use this method

4b. To isolate the Volatility component, **either**:
4b1. input "int(MTV(...))", with last input= -3, and compare to "0" as "Norm" value
...... very-Calm = -4, and very-Wild = +4, when you use this method
4b2. input "int(frac(MTV(...))*10+0.5)", with last input= -1, and compare to "5" as "Norm" value
...... very-Calm = 1, and very-Wild = 9, when you use this method

Note: the actual values of 1 to 9 and -4 to +4 are explained more fully in the Help manual, in the very long section that documents the many output value options. Please read that section thoroughly before using MTV!

**5. Now you must translate that numeric MTV result into a True/False boolean result, for the Filter to work. You do this by prefixing the MTV call with a "threshold" value and a "relational" operator. The threshold is typically "0" if you use 4a1 or 4b1, or it's "5" if you use 4a2 or 4b2. The relational operator is almost always "<" for Long formulae (ie the MTV value must exceed the threshold), or ">" for Short formulae. A good starting point, using 4a1 or 4b1, is to use "0 < ..." for Longs, and "0 > ..." for Shorts. For the default setting of MTVedge, Bull and Bear Trend filters might look like:
Long: 0 < int(MTV(8,-2))
Short: 0 > int(MTV(8,-2))

The Help Manual explains "Momentum Extension" ... this splits up the "Standard" mode Flat-Trend States into pure-Flat (output=0), bearish-Flat (output=-1), and bullish-Flat (output=+1). So, if you want to set up your Long and Short rules to allow those "ish" cases to be bundled in with the true Bear (-2 to -4) and Bull (+2 to +4) zones, use the formula above with "0" as the threshold. However, if you want to treat the "ish" extended-zone bars as Flat states, then the formulae above should be:
Long: 1 < int(MTV(8,-2))
Short: -1 > int(MTV(8,-2))

You can do a lot of other things, such as using "=" to identify flat zones (unlikely for FB app's unless dealing with Options), or using bigger threshold values to look for more "mature" cases, but I recommend that you stick to the two examples I provided and let the Pattern definition do the rest of the work.

You can use the "voting percentage" feature of the FB to check the MTV State of symbol, subgroup, group, sector, and one or more index values ... that's discussed in the "Alternate Symbol" (input #2) Help section in detail, and even further in the Help appendix.

There are many other FB related methods for MTV ... notably using Strategy Wizard to automatically search for the best MTV pattern for a given Strategy + FocusList, but that requires a lot of explanation ... click here for an "out of date but helpful" writeup for that, and a video is coming too.
JimDean
Posted 6/12/2016 3:44 PM (#8802 - in reply to #8798)

Owner/Admin

"How to use Help in MTV"

Three ways to learn all the details about how MTV works ... #2 and #3 are done from the plotted indicator. #1 is done from your armchair (after you print out the PDF file).

1. Read the PDF manual provided in TT_Output-Files folder (everyone should do this!)

2. Walk through entire help manual via popup screens, which allow jumps between Sections and from one Parameter to the next ... for MTV Edge, set first input to "0" ... for Flex and Powr, set last input to "0" then enter "2" ... gets you to same point ... read what it says on the screen, then click "Yes" and follow the prompts at the bottom of each panel to get where you're interested in going.

3. For Flex and Powr (does not apply to Edge) ... for detailed info about nearly every one of the inputs, set that input's value to "-1" and start reading ... follow "No" prompts at the bottom of each panel to walk through the information about that particular parameter ... or click "Yes" to get to the info about the Section that the input is part of (which itself might have several screens).

Exception for #3 ... to get help about the very last input "PltNegRtn", set the input to "0" so that the CueCard menu pops up. Then do what it says at the bottom ... simply press Enter (don't type anything), and that takes you to the same place that entering "-1" does for the other inputs.

The only information that you cannot get to using method #3 is the general Overview of the program (the first thing in the manual), and the info in the Appendix (the last thing in the manual). Use #1 or #2 to read those.

This is a very versatile and "handy" Help implementation (and took a huge amount of work to implement, btw). Please take a minute or two to get familiar with it. Remember, when you exit the help popups, you need to change the parameter back to a normal value, or the popup will reappear as soon as you change something else or close the screen (unless you click "Cancel" which takes you back to what it was originally).

Please, if you find any typo's or have any questions about the manual, *after* reading it and trying out the feature in question, either email me, with a snapshot of the part of the manual you are asking about, or post your question (and snapshot) in the "General QUESTIONS" thread, here:
http://tradetight.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1298
JimDean
Posted 6/16/2016 6:32 AM (#8814 - in reply to #8802)

Owner/Admin

*** Installation Issues ***

Usually everything goes fine. The process is simple and has been vetted by a lot of people using different configurations of equipment, OS, and N platforms. But, occasionally questions arise. I recently received one, concerning a problem installing on OT16 (VT installation went fine for this person). What follows is my response - it's a comprehensive enough to deal with all sorts of issues, so - if you run into a problem during installation, this is a good cookbook to follow:

Sorry to hear that you've had difficulties. The process is supposed to be very fast and clean but hey, computers are what they are and sometimes they bite.

Fortunately the install process is so simple that there are very few things that can go wrong, so don't despair. Here is a very comprehensive diagnostic procedure to follow. Please don't skip any steps. If something off happens, snapshot and send to me with clear explanation as to where you were in the process when it happened.

1. Delete everything from the OT16 SDK folder. Doublecheck that the version of OT16 is at least release 2.

2. Re-download the Zip file from the TT forum and Doublecheck you are installing the correct one in OT16 - that it says O16 not V11 or O15 in the name.

3. Triple-check that the zip file has been UNblocked and that all the DLLs extracted from it, and the TradeTight-Keys file are individually unblocked. (90% of the time this is the issue - it's a weird Windows thing.)

4. Extract all the files in one fell swoop into the SDK folder. Not piecemeal. Then, copy the unblocked Keys file into the TT_Support-Files folder.

5. Then start OT16. There should be no error messages appear. If any do, please snapshot them and your SDK folder contents, and note what version of OT you are on, and confirm that the above steps were all followed, and send that info to me and I will pass it on to Barry at N - there maybe something wrong with OT but if so, that's beyond my ability to help.

6. If OT starts OK but you have trouble with error messages that *don't* refer to the MTV family of tools in the top bar of the message box, once the profile actually appears, and if you had a prior version of MTV (before the name-change from Core and Xprt) installed, you must delete all uses of the old names from the profile and strategies and charts etc.

7. If you have errors that seem to be produced by MTV itself, referring to MTV or SymsMap of HelpNfo of SymXref or the Keys file etc, then snapshot the messages. Probably there is a corrupted file in the download in that case. Or maybe you're trying to use a feature that your not currently licensed for.

8. Before sending those snapshots to me, first create with a brand new Profile and new Chart Template (use the BasicBlack one from the TT site) and delete or uncheck any uses of MTV in your strategy filters and in OScan. Restart OT and no messages should appear.

9. Final check of all the inner workings: Add MTV to the chart and then add it as a custom FL column (FL column final input should be -1). Double click the chart to open the param box and change input #2 to 8 and then change input #1 to 1 and then change input #4 to -1. A popup should appear with help for #4. Esc and change that input back to zero. Click OK to close and the chart should look "busy" but fine. If all that works OK, you are totally good to go.

10. If you get any error messages during that process, snapshot them. Reopen the param pane and click "restore defaults". Then change final input to zero, type "1" and hit enter to see the version info. Snapshot that popup then close the box, change input back to 1, and click OK. Send me any snapshots you took.

That is as complete a recipe as I can provide for doing a thorough check. If other problems arise then it's a 95% chance that either OT is corrupted and needs reinstallation, or a 4% chance it has to do with Windows. This entire process has been adequately beaten to death in the past by a lot of people so there is very, very slim chance it has anything to do with the MTV "coding" itself.

99% of the time it turns out that the user either added a step or left one out in the install process. And 90% of those cases are that all the files were not unblocked.

I hope this helps!
JimDean
Posted 6/29/2016 11:13 AM (#8829 - in reply to #8814)

Owner/Admin

Possible "caution":
KeithP (SA) has reported issues with OT16 pr 3D … MTV worked fine with 3C but now fails to properly access AltSym nonzero inputs in 3D (for him). Please email me if you have 3D installed and if Nonzero values for AltSym (input#2) produce popup warnings for you.

Followup
KeithB (USA) tells me that MTV works fine on 3D for him, using all the AltSym options, so prior Caution is likely a false alarm.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )
Frozen

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.