Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  General Discussion -> Operating System & Software -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

Proverbs 3:6 (ESV) ... In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Sticky How to Setup a Virtual Machine (VM)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 6:13 PM (#8774)
Subject: How to Setup a Virtual Machine (VM)

Elite

There are choices to be made in this journey. I'm going to try to layout some of the alternatives. You should choose what you think works best for you. Hopefully, I'll provide enough info for you to make choices appropriate for your situation.

What is a Virtual Machine, a.k.a. a VM? See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

Why do you care? You can use your PC/laptop to run multiple instances of OT (and VT), and double, triple, or more, your OT Strategy Wizard testing productivity.

A VM is a software emulation of a physical machine. There are a variety of VM software programs available. I've experimented with Oracle's VirtualBox, but have been a long-time user of VMware Workstation Pro and VMware Workstation Player. I'm going to describe using VMware Workstation Player. With one of these VM programs, you can run multiple instances of Windows, or Linux, or whatever OS you desire, on your existing Windows PC. All that is required is sufficient CPU capability, RAM and storage space.

First a digression into Hyper-Threading (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading) and configuring your PC BIOS:

Terminology: CPUs, Cores and Threads
Modern CPUs, e.g. Intel i7, have 4 or more "cores". These cores can run single-threaded, or hyper-threaded (2 threads per core). If you have a modern PC, then there is an option in the BIOS where you can enable/disable Hyper-Threading. Hyper-threading CAN make more efficient use of the "cores", IF there are programs designed to use multiple threads, OR many single-threaded programs running which are competing for the limited number of "cores".

There has been discussion at various times in this forum and the OT forums about whether to enable Hyper-Threading or not. OT is a "single-threaded" process. So, it can only effectively use 1 core at a time. If the only thing you are doing on your PC is running a single instance of OT, then you will see slightly better throughput with Hyper-Threading disabled.

But, if you are going to be running VMs (one or more) on your PC, then I recommend that you enable Hyper-Threading.
NOTE: I believe you must enable Intel Virtualization Technology to use VMs.
NOTE: Each PC manufacturer labels these things a little differently, so you'll have to consult your BIOS menu or your PC manual on where to find these specific configuration items.
NOTE: I've got Intel processors in my PCs. So, my comments will be based on Intel hardware. I'm pretty sure AMD processors have equivalent functions that may need to be configured in your PC BIOS.

INSTALL VMware WORKSTATION PLAYER:
Here's the top-level link for VMware Workstation Player 12 https://www.vmware.com/products/player. It's free for personal use. For our purposes (i.e. running more instances of OT), I think it has all the functionality that we require. Install it on your PC.

OT runs in Windows. So, you need to install an instance of Windows in a VM. The install process is actually easier than a physical machine. You can install Windows in a VM from an ISO file that is stored on your “host” PC. The possibilities include:
1) Download a Windows ISO:
......Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
......Windows 8.1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
......Windows 7: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
These ISOs require a Windows license if you intend to use them beyond 30 days. If you intend to setup a permanent VM (I’ve got a couple), then you should acquire an appropriate Windows license and activate your guest Windows installation.

OR:
2) Start with a preconfigured VM:
......These preconfigured VMs are designed for Windows development. They come with a free 90-day license.
...... https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windo...
......Choose your VM version, e.g. Win 10 or Win 8 or Win 7 (snapshot shows Windows 10)
......Choose your VM Platform: VMware
......Download the zipped VM. It’s ~5GB (for the Win10). It took 15 minutes to download. Unzip the file. You will "import" this to create a VM instance.
NOTE: Which version of Windows should you choose? Win10 and Win8 are limited to 90 days. I installed a Win10 VM, and it displayed the following text:
Re-arm: In some cases (Windows XP, Vista and 7), it may be possible to further extend the initial trial period if there are rearms left...
So, you may want to choose Win7.

OT Licenses - read the following before deciding which of the above alternatives you wish to follow:
Nirvana's license server will allow each OT/VT owner to activate 5 OT/VT instances. This is on a "per machine" basis. So, what is a "machine"? A physical PC is a machine. A VM is a machine. So, when you install OT/VT on a PC or on a VM, your license count is decremented. If you exceed 5 machine activations, then you will be prompted to enter your Nirvana credentials each time you attempt to start any of your OT or VT instances. When that happens, you'll need to contact Nirvana and have your count reset. As you start each of your OT instances, they will again cause the count to be decremented one by one. If you attempt to start more than 5 instances, you'll have to again get the count reset.

One of our Director Group members installed OT in an AWS (Amazon Web Server, which is a VM), installed all the plugins and updated the OmniData/OmniScan, and then cloned this AWS instance multiple times (more than 5 times) without triggering the need for a license reset. And, you can also clone VM machines on your PC for use in VMware. I assume that VM cloned instances would behave the same as the AWS clones, and NOT cause a license count increase. But I have not tested it, and I don't know exactly what the restrictions are, or what exactly causes a license count decrement. For example, updating data might cause a license check. I don't know whether it does or not. Installing another plug-in might cause a license check. So, if you plan to clone VMs, then complete the install of all plugins and data prior to cloning.

NOTE: During the week, you can get a license count reset done quickly by Nirvana. Barry and Angela have both done it for me in the past. I have two active OT licenses on a desktopPC and a licensed Windows VM on that PC. I have two active OT licenses on a laptop and a licensed Windows VM on that laptop. And I have an active licensed OT+OmniPilot instance running on an AWS instance. Possibly, I could clone my VMs, and run OT on those clones with restrictions (e.g. not updating data or adding plugins). But, I have not personally tested this, and won't test it until I'm prepared to get a quick reset done by Nirvana (i.e. during Nirvana working hours during the week).

So, if you choose the pre-configured 90-day Windows VMware VM alternative, you will use an OT license activation for that initial install on the VM. After 90 days, you'll have to start over, and redo the OT install and activate another license. After a few of these, you will need to call Nirvana and get your count reset. But this alternative has the advantage of not requiring a Windows license for your VM.

Here are some snapshots of what you'll encounter when installing a pre-configured 90-day Windows VM:

(2016-06-10_13-28-08.png)

(2016-06-10_14-03-07.png)

(2016-06-10_14-04-45.png)

(2016-06-10_14-06-05.png)

(2016-06-10_14-11-49.png)

(2016-06-10_14-12-01.png)

(2016-06-10_14-12-16.png)

(2016-06-10_14-13-11.png)

Edited by SteveLuerman 6/10/2016 6:24 PM

Thread moved by JimDean on 5/21/2018 5:42 PM from Custom TradeTight Routines > Universal Instructions & Tools > How to Setup a Virtual Machine (VM)

Attachments
Attachments 2016-06-10_13-28-08.png (141KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-03-07.png (186KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-04-45.png (101KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-06-05.png (14KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-11-49.png (128KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-12-01.png (118KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-12-16.png (41KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 2016-06-10_14-13-11.png (124KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 6:32 PM (#8775 - in reply to #8774)

Elite

Don't be afraid of VMware Workstation Player or the pre-configured Windows VMs. You can install and experiment with them, and toss them away as often as you want. Go experiment!

In my experience, you need at least 2.5GB of RAM for the VM when running OT. So, I'd configure it with 3 or 4GB.

And, I'd configure the VM with 2 CPUs/threads.

If you have a 4 Core CPU with hyper-threading enabled, you can probably have 2 VMs running OT Strategy Wizard with no problem, and maybe 3 VMs (but that would probably be pushing it). Scale up accordingly if you have a 6, 8, 10 or 12 (Wow!) core CPU.

Thread moved by JimDean on 5/21/2018 5:42 PM from Custom TradeTight Routines > Universal Instructions & Tools > How to Setup a Virtual Machine (VM)

SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 8:03 PM (#8776 - in reply to #8775)

Elite

I've gotten some questions:

Q1: If I start with a licensed win7 copy for the initial VM partition, then load OT etc, then snapshot (how is that done?) and then clone it (how is that done?), will the clones persist for longer than 30/90 days? What might occur to "break" that and later disable Windows on those clones (i.e. OT data downloads maybe?). I assume that a Windows update on the clones would trigger a Windows nogo flag.

A1: You can snapshot your VM (a menu selection in VMware Workstation Pro, but NOT available in Player) to preserve a particular version of the VM. For example, if you are going to download and install a potentially dangerous program from the internet, and are concerned that it might mess things up, then you would want to take a snapshot prior to installing that unknown program. If things get messed up (or not), you can fallback to the snapshot.

Cloning: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2030609
The fileset comprising a VM's virtual disk and configuration is stored in a folder. To create a clone, copy that folder and its contents. When you start the VM from that copied folder, you will get a dialog popup (see snapshot) asking if this VM has been "moved" or "copied." If moved, then the information identifying this machine instance (e.g. UUID and MACID) are preserved. If it is a "copied" instance, then VMware changes the information that identifies this as a unique machine (e.g. UUID and MACID).

How long will this clone last? I just now copied/cloned my Win10 VM, and checked the Activation status. It is not activated. So, it has 30 days to expiration.

----------------

Q2: What about antivirus? I use ESET (very skinny and very reliable) - is each VM clone invisible to the others and therefore would it need separate ESET for each?

A2: Each VM is like a separate physical machine. There is no shared "memory". So, yes, I think you would need a separate ESET for each. BUT, they would not need to be connected to the internet, so they should not be at risk for virus or malware contamination. You can control the internet connection in the VMware Player settings for the VM instance, or disable the VM's virtual adapter.

----------------

Q3: My goal would be to set up a long term config that remains stable and does not need rebuilding periodically. On two different machines, with ideally three OT's per machine plus one on my laptop. Each desktop would have 2 cores for main working boot partition and one apiece for the SW partitions. So I could run 3 SW's per machine and still go other things in the main core (or at least that would be the "normal" setting). Laptop would just have one OT. Sometimes, if need is great and if OT workaround is Possible, I would split one desktop yet again for four separate cores at once running SW. And in that event might split the laptop as well. So, determining if the "cloning" of OT effectively sidesteps the license count is pretty important if you are able to.

A3: I'm not saying it can't be done, but I don't know how to do that. The clone I did above requires activation within 30 days. That's a problem (perhaps another member can offer input on this). So, if you had additional licenses, then you could overcome that problem. OT has a limit of 5, but experience by one of the members indicates that is not a problem if plugins and data is not being updated.

re: Running 4 SW instance on a 4 core CPU
The host OS needs to do the housekeeping for the VMs, plus disk I/O, etc. So, I don't think you should expect 4 OT instances to run very well. I expect that 3 will work fine. But I have serious doubts about 4 OT instances running SW on a 4 core CPU.

----------------
I'm going to put Q4 in a separate post.

(2016-06-10_17-31-48.png)

Edited by SteveLuerman 6/10/2016 9:36 PM

Attachments
Attachments 2016-06-10_17-31-48.png (16KB - 2 downloads)
SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 8:11 PM (#8777 - in reply to #8776)

Elite

Q4: Although I imagine there is help with VMware, I would imagine that may potential helpers might want to avoid reading it and do a pure cookie cutter method. So, if you plan to post more, it really would be helpful to describe how things look when VM is running, how to access the various partitions to check progress - and also via RDP. I've absolutely no idea how much explanation this might require, or whether step by step is really feasible, but if you've a mind to, that would really help folks to get onboard with minimal thrashing and frustration.

A4: I thought about how to do a step by step, but since there are a couple of alternatives, that didn't seem very feasible. As I commented in A3, I don't know if there is a good permanent solution for more than 5 OT instances, and even those 5 instances would require Windows licenses (JW's experience was with AWS instances that include Windows licenses).

re: Multiple VMs and switching between them
You have several display options within VMware Workstation Player. A VM opens in a window. Within the window, it looks exactly the same as a "Desktop" with the Taskbar wherever you want it to be located, etc. Or, you can have it display as full screen with a bar along the top to control returning to windowed mode. OR, you can run in Unity Mode where you can have all your applications, e.g. OT, running on the host screen. I prefer to run each instance as a separate window or full screen. And I like to use RDP to connect from my Desktop PC with 3 monitors to my laptop and VMs and AWS instances. Below is a snapshot showing Remote Desktop Connection Manager with my laptop with the VM running with the Windows 10 System status window open. I'll start a separate thread about Remote Desktop Connection.

(2016-06-10_17-59-40.png)

Attachments
Attachments 2016-06-10_17-59-40.png (138KB - 2 downloads)
JimDean
Posted 6/10/2016 8:20 PM (#9058 - in reply to #8831)

Owner/Admin

Another thot for this thread, re optimizing your hardware for VM use -

If your intent is to do heavy numeric calc testing of OT as Steve described- for example several simultaneously-running Strategy Wizard studies, then I *highly* recommend machines with single or dual Xeon chips rather than i7’s or comparable. Xeons are tried and true server CPU’s - they will not have overheating problems that i7’s likely could run in to for calcs like this.

If you have a single four core Xeon chip (8 virtual cores), you can easily run four simultaneous balls to the wall SW tasks (or other combo of OT related things) with 16G ram total (2 vote cores and 4G ram apiece). If you want to reserve one for general use and might have a few computational or memory intensive task in that instance at once, then dedicate 4 virt cores and 8G to the main instance and 2vc+4G apiece to two other instances. (You probably could get away with just 3G per OT-instance btw)

(Recent update) Xeon chips for typical user machines are usually dual or quad core. Check out Dell Precision desktops. They even sell Laptops now with these configuration

And if you have dual Xeons each with four cores - with 32G Ram - you are ready for anything. But it’s not an inexpensive machine. And - be sure to get a good UPS! ;-)

N forum thread on same topic ... https://www.omnitrader.com/currentclients/otforum/thread-view.asp?th...

JimDean
Posted 6/10/2016 8:21 PM (#9059 - in reply to #8831)

Owner/Admin

Here are comments that Jeff posted on the N forum (used by permission - see thread link in prior post), inserted after Steve's initial instructions, with a few italicized notes from me:

Each VM, running its own OS instance and processes like AntiVirus and updates does generate IO. It isn't bad when you have RAID 0 (typical HD config) or 10 (4 HDs in two mirrored pairs) but if you are simply running with RAID 1 (mirrored HD pair), you'll see the difference (assuming spinning HDDs). Shifting to SSD, I've seen RAM to be the bottleneck as to how many I can run simultaneously. (SSD's are a very good solution for VM app's.)

One other note on Licensing. In addition to Windows licensing, you'll run into OT licensing. Nirvana is gracious enough to allow us to run 3 (or maybe 5) instances, but beyond that, if you connect to the license server, you'll end up calling Nirvana Support to get your keys reset or you'll be prompted to get your license keys with each startup (N does not mind your doing this btw). By not allowing a linked clone to access the internet you avoid this. It works for running tests against static data.

On the topic of Windows Licensing, I've noticed that Windows 10 will say it isn't activated. To activate it, acquire a license. In reading, I've found that it limits your ability to change certain privacy settings and get rid of some annoying ads, but I haven't yet seen that it stops functioning. I haven't read through the license to know if Microsoft intends this to be a way of keeping Windows in front of people who don't want to purchase temporary Windows instances or if it is their response to squash piracy. I'm not saying to steal Windows, but perhaps Microsoft is being a little more friendly in its quest to conquer the world.

And ... on the topic of how to avoid Network access so a trial copy of Win10 doesn't bark at you ...
Steve Luerman commented: In VMware Workstation (Pro or Player), you can modify the VM "Network Adapter" settings to NOT "Connect at power on". And/Or, I think you can also set the "Network Adapter" to "Host-only: A private network shared with the host". I would make both changes.

Jeff also added: Another method from within Windows 10 is to put it into Airplane mode or deactivate the network adapter. You run the risk that Windows reached out but so far the worst that I've seen is it switches you from an activated instance of Windows to a Need to Activate instance. Since your clone is just temporary and you will blow it away, you probably don't care about this - your base VM you used for cloning will be just fine. So you can make your network change in the clone and then launch OT. Just make your network change before launching OT.

KeithBuhl
Posted 6/10/2016 8:28 PM (#8778 - in reply to #8774)

Veteran

Wow!! Thanks for this Steve!! I just learned that I have two computers (both w/ i7s) that have 8 cores each. One with 9GB ram, and one with 16GB ram and a SSD. So that means that I should be able to run 3-4 VMs per machine if I'm reading this right. Both also are installed with Win 7. I'm going to go slow, and follow your excellent instructions to see if I can just get 1 VM working first, and go from there. Too late to start tonight, but you can bet I'll be trying this tomorrow. One question--do I need to reserve Ram for the actual base machine to run as well? In other words, if I wanted to try 3 VMs would I need 3GB for each VM plus 3GB for my base machine (or 12GB total)? Thanks again for all the information.

-Keith

MarkHolstius
Posted 6/10/2016 8:38 PM (#8779 - in reply to #8777)

Veteran

Outstanding post, Steve...
Thanks a lot for all your work!
Mark

SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 8:47 PM (#8780 - in reply to #8778)

Elite

Keith,
You might have 8 core CPUs, but that is a little unusual. You probably have 4 core CPUs and 8 threads. To determine how many cores and threads, open Task Manager (right click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner) and go to the Performance tab. In the lower right, it will display your Cores, Logical Processors (aka Threads) and Virtualization status.

(2016-06-10_18-46-46.png)

Attachments
Attachments 2016-06-10_18-46-46.png (55KB - 2 downloads)
SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 8:57 PM (#8782 - in reply to #8778)

Elite

Keith,
I also meant to comment on the RAM. You would need to leave 3-4GB for your "host" OS (i.e., the "actual base machine"). Your 9GB machine would handle at most 2 VMs running OT (in my experience). If you really have an 8 core machine (i.e. 16 Logical Processors/Threads with HyperThreading enabled) and 16GB of RAM, then it would handle 3 VMs each with 2 processors/threads and 3 GBs per thread (and maybe 4 VMs).

The SSD will help IF (capitalized) there is space for each of the VMs storage. But even if the VM is located on a non-SSD storage device, it will still run well. My understanding is that most of the working address space is managed in RAM. So, (my thinking is) the more RAM you can give the VM (up to a point), then the better it's performance (but I'm not sure that is true - I'll have to research that).

Good idea taking it one step at a time.

KeithBuhl
Posted 6/10/2016 9:23 PM (#8783 - in reply to #8774)

Veteran

Steve here's some snags--my Task Mgr is a bit different due to Win 7 vs Win 10. But look at the device Mgr (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) Processors snag. 8 cores or 4?

(More CPU info.png)

(Task Mgr.png)

(Device Manager Processor Cores.png)

Attachments
Attachments More CPU info.png (156KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Task Mgr.png (65KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Device Manager Processor Cores.png (84KB - 2 downloads)
SteveLuerman
Posted 6/10/2016 9:31 PM (#8784 - in reply to #8783)

Elite

Keith,
You have an Intel Core i7-930 processor. That is 4 Cores and 8 threads. So, you have Hyper-Threading enabled.
http://ark.intel.com/products/41447/Intel-Core-i7-930-Processor-8M-Cache-2_80-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Edited by SteveLuerman 6/10/2016 9:33 PM

KeithBuhl
Posted 6/10/2016 9:46 PM (#8785 - in reply to #8774)

Veteran

Great, thanks so much!

JamesMcNeill
Posted 6/11/2016 6:53 PM (#8799 - in reply to #8784)

Friend

Hi Steve,

Before I try to absorb any more of your comprehensive posts I am wondering if my situation falls into the same categories of use.

My main computer is a MacBook Pro on which I have installed VMware Fusion 8.1.1 in order to run Windows 10 so that I can run OmniTrader and OmniVest. The setup works even if a bit slow.

I believe the purpose of your approach is to enable the use of SW for Jims' tests.

Would I be in a position to help with that ?

Jim McNeill

JimDean
Posted 6/11/2016 6:59 PM (#8800 - in reply to #8799)

Owner/Admin

The testing team is drawn primarily from the Directors Group, but if there's not enough interest from them, and several non-DG members want to participate, I'm open to that. But this thread is not where it would be handled. Email me if you are interested, with info about what machines you have and how much time you're willing to allocate (mainly, tests will be run overnight). Thanks.

SteveLuerman
Posted 6/11/2016 7:10 PM (#8801 - in reply to #8799)

Elite

Jim,
My posts on VMware use are general and not specific to the testing that Jim wants to coordinate. I'm just trying to inform folks on how they can use their hardware to get more done with OT.
Steve

MarkGerber
Posted 6/29/2016 3:41 PM (#8831 - in reply to #8774)

Friend

Steve, thank you very much for describing this journey in great detail.

I hope to explore this soon.

--Mark G.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.