Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  Custom TradeTight Routines -> MTV Market Trend & Volatility -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

John 6:27 (NIV) ... Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.

Sticky MTV General DISCUSSION
Frozen
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 1/8/2016 12:57 PM (#6804)
Subject: MTV General DISCUSSION

Owner/Admin

This thread is for discussion and general comments regarding the "normal operation" of MTV routines ... it is NOT intended for posting about problems/bugs/issues that arise which need resolution ... click here to go to the thread for reporting problems. If you have Questions, click here to post in the thread dedicated to that. If you'd like to Comment/Discuss things about using MTV in general, click here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimDean
Posted 1/14/2016 6:06 PM (#6924 - in reply to #6804)

Owner/Admin

Important for ALL of you MTV'ers out there ... MTVcore, MTVxprt, or simply folks who have purchased MTV OmniScripts without the plugins ...

Some time back, I created a new Room in this Custom TradeTight Routines Section, called
"MTV OmniScripts Library & Use" ... http://tradetight.org/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=196

I made a general post for all TT forum users, per normal practice, about the creation of this new Room, so that you would know to set your Mass Subscriptions to include posts made to it ... if you are interested in that topic. If you have not done so yet, go to My Settings, then click the Mass Subscribe button, scroll way down the list and check the box for this new Room, so that you can keep up with future postings.

I've since heard that several MTV'ers (possibly many of you) missed that announcement, and therefore may be unaware of the truly huge amount of information I've been posting in that new Room over the past couple of weeks.

THAT INFORMATION IS VERY HELPFUL FOR MTV "PLUGIN" USERS ... not just for those who are working directly with the MTV OScripts. Why?

1. It shows hundreds of chart-examples of the MTV indicator in use, for two timeframes and four very different symbols, using a carefully-selected subset *Standardized Library Patterns* of the MTV Guru inputs ... it's carefully organized into 28 threads (18 now, 10 more soon), with summaries at the top of each thread. If you want to get a feel for the huge scope of MTV functionality and applicability, you should spend some time looking through those charts!

2. Since the MTV Scripts Library *USE* the MTVcore/xprt Guru-inputs as their basis, I provide decent explanations of what those three Guru inputs mean, and how they might be used. This applies directly to MTVcore & MTVxprt routines.

3. Since the MTV Scripts distribution-document has a Header that recaps not only the Guru but also the derived Expert inputs which make up the Pattern of that script, I provide short explanations of the twelve Expert-tuning inputs ... all MTVxprt users should be sure to read this info.

4. Since that document also reveals the settings of several "hidden" MTV calibration factors (accessible only thru the MTVxprt Presets file), I provide quick definitions for them.

5. That doc also reveals what the periods-settings are for that MTV Pattern, for each of the MA's, the Slopes, and even the StdDev calcs.

*NOTE* that all this info is what you see when you input -1 in the final parameter for either MTVcore or MTVxprt ... therefore, those postings serve as written documentation for (nearly) that entire pane.

I do plan to provide some additional explanations, but via Training Videos only since writing out a deeper level of detail would take so much time, and be read by so few people, that the Video route is an obvious choice. So ... make hay while the sun shines, and dive into the information in that new Room!
JimDean
Posted 1/26/2016 2:44 PM (#7026 - in reply to #6804)

Owner/Admin

I've just completed the third set of revisions to a brand new thread which I think many of you will find very useful: "Find Best MTV Pattern, Using OT StratWiz" ... http://tradetight.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1274

This is a *detailed HowTo* thread with six posts that walks you through the process of using OmniTrader's Strategy Wizard tool, with your MTVcore or MTVxprt plugin, to find the "best settings" (ie MTV Pattern) for filtering any OT/VT Strategy ... and takes it beyond that, for those of you who want to find good Scripts to use for OmniVest.

The second post of that "HowTo" thread also serves as a pretty good step by step tutorial for using Strategy Wizard and the "variables" you can create in a Filter Block formula, so it's worth looking over just for that ...

The later posts will help you by discussing why you might use different MTV Patterns for Long trades than Short trades, how to implement the selected MTV Scripts in OmniVest (via Dynamic Lists &/or Strategy Conditions), how to do your OVest "development" with one of your 3 Dynamic Lists, but break the #DL's limit-barrier when trading, and how to incorporate MTV Volatility filters into the mix, in conjunction with MTV Trend filters.

Summary ... it is a thread well worth studying.

Caution ... lots of detail ... plan on *trying out* each step before proceeding to the next one ... if you don't, many folks might "get lost" in the explanation.

Have fun! I will eventually produce a video to demo this, but since I've written it out in such detail here, that Video probably can wait a bit.
SteveLuerman
Posted 1/30/2016 12:03 AM (#7033 - in reply to #6804)

Elite

Jim,
As time permits, I'm bouncing around in all the docs you've created. Still wrapping my head around it. I believe I'm slowly getting there.

One piece of doc that I know is in your video, but not written, are the options for RtnBothTrndVolatRev and PltBothPavPslRavRsl. I'm going to the video, since I didn't get any hits in the forum. Might be worth a short post to document the choices, so that it is not necessary to go to the video.

EDIT: I just clicked on the video link, and see that it refers me to a "snapshot" which shows the options. You might consider adding these 2 keywords as text in the forum post, so that they are searchable.
JimDean
Posted 2/2/2016 5:01 PM (#7089 - in reply to #6804)

Owner/Admin

IMPORTANT: need reply asap

I am about to do another MTV plugin release ... *mostly* just minor stuff. I need to hear from you (by email or in this thread) if you have already been using MTV for trading, or if you've been doing a significant number of experiments with it, such that you've homed-in on certain GURU-input settings.

Reason for question ... I have a choice to either:
1. Do release as part of "A" version (no upgrade fee), with *all* changes included
2. Do "A" version release but leave out changes that might affect your current Guru settings
... if I do #2, then the left-out changes would likely be included in the next Version "B", which would also include other "major" things (like an Entry System!) ... but there will be a small upgrade fee for that.

So ... if you've moved far enough along the road with MTV that you don't want the effect of the same input-settings to be different on the output, then **you need to let me know asap**. Specifically, the settings of the Response Guru and the Bias Guru are the ones which will be affected.

Thanks!
JimDean
Posted 2/2/2016 5:26 PM (#7095 - in reply to #7089)

Owner/Admin

Summary of the change in question, for those who might care ... (you do *not* have to read this)

Background: amongst the three current Gurus, the first two are fairly easy to understand with little explanation, but the third one is much harder to explain clearly ... and as time has passed, I've realized that it doesn't do an effective job of what it was targetted to do ... there are 10 options but a couple hundred permutations (in Expert). I'm seeking to SIMPLIFY things, and to make them more intuitive without lots of instruction.

The Change: the old "ThreshBear2BullWNC" input will be replaced by a new Guru, probably named something like "VoteMethodAndBias". The new name is a lot more understandable than the old one, without any more being said. There will be 9 choices (0-8) for the new one (instead of 10 for the prior one).

The primary focus of this will shift from "threshold-limits" for the voting, to the actual calc-methods used. Currently, the three calc-methods are "invisibly folded in" to the Response Guru ... and although the method does affect the responsiveness of the calc, the methods aren't "pure" in their scaling, so the net result is that currently, when you move the Response value slider from 0 to 8, the way the MTV patterns change is a bit "jerky".

That will change. The Method feature will be untied from Response, and will become the main focus of the new VoteMethodAndThresh Guru. So, the new Response Guru will be much "smoother" in its progression from 0=Quick to 8=Even ... and the Method will be independently controllable, which it actually warrants.

There will still be a little bit of "threshold" control in the new VoteMethodAndThresh guru, but it will be much less discrete and therefore easier to understand. I'm attaching a table ... if you don't understand, don't sweat it ... but it's *much* simpler than an equiv table (not previously published) for the existing Guru. Note the blue background rows, for choices 3-5. These will be the options used for Boolean Library Scripts ... all three Methods, with moderate vote-threshold settings for both trend and volatility. The settings 0-2 again have all three Methods, and will be the basis for the Trend Scaling Scripts. The settings 6-8 has three Methods, and are the basis for the Volat Scaling Scripts. There are other applications and reasons for picking between those three sets, but that will be explained later.

The MTVxprt fine-tuning controls, and the internal calc's based on them, will be the *same* ... what will change, besides one Guru name, is how the Response and VoteMeth gurus are "mapped" into the Experts.

OK ... that's a pretty complete explanation. I'll have to make a lot of nitpicky changes to a lot of things in the DLL code and in the Script Generator ... and I'll have to redo all the Library snapshot threads ... but there will be *fewer* of those threads needed, to illustrate the variances. And, the illustrations will be easier to understand, for those who care to wander through them.

So ... lots of benefits. Only downside is that if anyone has already "locked in" to the current Guru settings, the way MTV will calc for those same values in the same input positions will change. That's why I am checking with y'all before doing it.

Thanks for listening!

This will, for sure, be the *last* significant change to MTV for a long time. It will *simplify* it, by making it easier to understand. I hope, once you see it all done, that you all agree!

(VoteMethodAndThresh.png)

Attachments
Attachments VoteMethodAndThresh.png (92KB - 2 downloads)
JimDean
Posted 3/8/2016 2:06 PM (#7381 - in reply to #7095)

Owner/Admin

Brief update for y'all about MTV enhancements for version B1 ...

Lots has been going on, building the new B1 version, but all the discussion about it has been in the Directors Club Room. I'm just about done. Btw ... I've recently decided to expand the MTV Director's Club benefits to include free upgrades for life, to the MTVcore and MTVxprt DLL's (in addition to free Guru-based MTV OScripts, R&D involvement, and other stuff). Contact me if you're interested

I've revamped (and simplified) the Bias & Threshold entirely (several passes, lots and lots of testing), modified the fuzzy factor a bit, changed a lot of input names for clarity, simplified the whole thing by culling out less-useful input permutations, created a "Master" subset of the Gurus (a new input for MTVcore, and the first 25 Presets for MTVxprt), added a MomentumExtension option so trends "slide over" short flat zones intelligently, and am in process now of building in context-sensitive help accessible directly each input and for the entire program. There are more output options, and much greater control over what bars get calc'd (ie efficiency). I've created a pretty cool MTV System (although that won't be released for a while, for other reasons).

So, its a *big* upgrade. My guess is release within a week ... no more than two.
JimDean
Posted 3/10/2016 6:39 PM (#7391 - in reply to #7381)

Owner/Admin

Update ...

Devel Code for context-sensitive MTV Help is nearly complete now but not yet tested. The engine is written to support MTV routines, and all other DLL's that I might later distribute. It provides for:

An Overview for the entire routine
General introduction for each Section of inputs
Specific help for each Input

You'll be able to see specific-Input help by entering a -1 in the input param field, while the indic (or system) is plotted ... that popup will give options to close, or to view the Section help related to that input.

You'll be able to see the Overview-help using a -2 input in the final input (-1 gives help for that input) ... Overview popup will give option to close or read first Section ... then Section gives option to read first param in it or next Section, and Param gives option for next param or next section. So, you can just click your way through all the info about the program, or about any section, etc.

The engine provides a lot of formatting flexibility to make things readable ... no indents, paragraph indenting, hanging indents, full LHS indents, both L+R indents, and even pixel-based centering with optional LHS indent. Unfortunately the MsgBox function does not permit any graphics.

It will all be driven by a couple of text files that are (theoretically) editable by the user, tho that's not recommended ... but you can open them in WordPad or whatever and read them directly (without formatting).

This mechanism allows you to always have access to complete Help, without having to search out info in the Forum, etc ... and it allows me to keep it up to date in a dynamic form, without having to hassle repeatedly with Word formatting and PDF distribution. All the Help text files will be downloadable.

Still haven't figured out a way to do this for Stops, but will eventually do it somehow.
JimDean
Posted 3/12/2016 7:23 PM (#7395 - in reply to #7391)

Owner/Admin

Update ...

I've "conquered" the automated context-sensitive help ... generic engine for all routines. Provides popups direct from indicator when it is plotted, and also has a simple standalone routine to provide popup *OR* text-file-output help for *any* of the TradeTight routines that help-files are present for. The file-output has the same versatile formatting that the popups do (various centering and indentation modes), and automatically adjusts for either monospaced or "pretty" fonts to be used. The text file output can readily be copied into Word, and converted to PDF's. So ... I'll be able to distribute a PDF help manual that will exactly match the integrated help, and be easy to re-generate when edits are made to the help (as questions come in that warrant clarification).

This is a really big deal ... you'll see as time goes on.

I still have a lot to do ... distrib likely next week sometime ... but all the structure is in place for the nifty new features. Most of what remains is busywork.
JimDean
Posted 9/13/2017 5:21 PM (#8971 - in reply to #7395)

Owner/Admin

Hi, everyone!

I know it's been a *long* time since posting about MTV, but I'm finally getting close to some new releases for it! I've had to revamp the licensing tools (which doesn't affect you but is a huge bowl of spaghetti for me), and add interfacing via Return values for use with a cool new Trade-Tracking tool (more info later). That stuff, plus a year beset by "family-stuff" difficulties, has delayed the 2017 release. My apologies!

And btw ... the new release will be for OT/VT 2017 as well as 2016. If you've already got the 150103 version, I don't currently plan on charging for the new release, even though it will have some small enhancements. People who have license dates less than 150103 will need to cover a small upgrade fee, to catch them up with the vast majority of you who already purchased the prior upgrade.

I'll let you know more as the release date gets closer. Thanks for your patience!
JimDean
Posted 9/14/2017 8:14 AM (#8972 - in reply to #8971)

Owner/Admin

Sorry, friends ... my last post (which I've revised now) was mistaken. The "150103" feature-set mentioned there was never formally released ... it was still under development. I had to check my records to be sure, after someone raised a question about it. So ... if you see the "150101" SubsBgn date in your Keys file, that is the most up-to-date distribution version. A few people have the "150100" date ... those people will be the ones with a small upgrade charge (equivalent to the upgrade option presented at the last release) when the "B2" version of MTV is released in the near future. My intent is to stabilize the MTV feature-set rather than to allow it to proliferate. MTV is already incredibly feature-rich ... and already has three user-interface options (Edge,Flex,Powr) ... it doesn't need any more bells & whistles!

For those who are interested in details, this all has to do with an "architectural approach" I've been internally debating about for a couple of years now. I think I've found the best path to take, within the N-platform constraints.

The upcoming (almost wholly internal) tweaks to MTV will make it the first true "Stradicator" engine. I'm coining that term to describe an Indicator which does the entire calculations of a strategy (scan, entry, filter, exit) ... which can be used as a stand-alone indicator, or to power a full OT/VT strategy by means of simple companion "shell" routines that efficiently adapt it to any or all of the strategy-component roles.

Shortly after the MTV update, I will be providing a major new capability I call "TradeTrak", which should "revolutionize" the approach to OT/VT trading strategy control, and also highly leverage OT's Dynamic Scan feature. My goal is to provide this capability in a versatile fashion, so it can be used with MTV and also with future "Stradicator" tools.

TradeTrak will act in two roles, both of which are built on Equity-Performance analysis of whatever Stradicator it is paired with. It will internally and accurately calculate the profit/loss of trades that the Stradicator creates, based on user-specified "smart" Position-Sizing (which will include "scaling-in" and "scaling out" options). As it does so, it will calculate the equity curve for those trades as applied to each symbol (and plot it with typical robust "TradeTight" detail-options). Using that basis, TradeTrak will offer two capabilities:
1. the option to override current-bar entry &/or exit signals based on current Equity-curve status, &/or
2. the option to create forward-weighted Equity-status "tradeability scores" for use with FocusList Scans

I fully expect these two capabilities to "revolutionize" not only trading performance, but also the "dependability" (ie robustness) of the strategy to perform in the future in ways similar to what backtesting will have suggested. The reasons behind this expectation are complex ... but the biggest one is that "curve fitting optimization" methods will *not* have been used in the process of developing these tools.

On the heels of the MTV upgrade and TradeTrak releases, I will be offering another robust "Stradicator" tool, tentatively named "MYTmacd" (ie it's "mighty" :-), which leverages George Appel's MACD concepts in comprehensive and totally original ways, into a complete and versatile trading strategy. It, like the new MTV, will also have "hooks" to allow TradeTrak to provide its special enhanced trade management features.

And after that, another as-yet-unnamed Stradicator is in the pipeline, which is based on "stairstep" entry logic paired with an independent, flexible exit method.

So ... lots going on behind the scenes, with a plan to provide a "universal" Equity-Analysis tool as well as complete strategies that are *sufficiently different* in their logic and methods, so that a "suite" of alternative approaches can be used to diversify your trading opportunities.
JimDean
Posted 9/15/2017 10:45 AM (#8974 - in reply to #8972)

Owner/Admin

Hello all MTV'ers!

If you haven't already done so, please carefully review the "previews of coming attractions" that I described in the prior post in this thread. In light of that post, especially re the upcoming offer of the TradeTrak routine, I need to make a decision about MTV features.

I'm wondering about output-options 4 & 5, which show the profit/loss "progress" across the MTV Bull/Bear zone ... the snapshot below shows the relevant help panels that describe the plot and return features, along with a sample screen. It's pretty "dense" with information, as per TT-norm.

The current release's calcs are actually a bit "optimistic" ... I'm modifying them to do next-bar-open entry simulation rather than base profit/loss on entry at the close of the "signal" bar (ie when the Bull/Bear zone first appears). Also, I'm refining the definition and evaluation of what makes up a "leg" within that zone, which affects the skinny silver plotted line ... in the revised calcs, Legs will close on a bar where the Zone's Wdd gets worse, and a new Leg won't start until the Zone Wdd flattens out.

After getting that all sorted out, I need to decide whether to *move* or to *duplicate* that entire feature into TradeTrak ... I'm leaning towards just moving it (and stripping it from MTV), since it really doesn't help MTV do trend/volatility identification ... it's sort of a "curiousity" that came out of some very early preliminary devel work which was discussed in the Directors Group many moons ago ... and as you can see from the Help panels, it adds to the learning-curve complexity of MTV, which is something that y'all advised me to avoid where possible.

Otoh, Profit/Loss calc's definitely *will* be part of TradeTrak, not as the final solution but as an essential step along the way. I plan to have output options that would include something similar to what you see in the sample.

And, if I strip this options from MTV, then I won't be "tempted/obliged" to include it somehow in future Stradicators (which will save me a lot of work, both adding it and doing maintenance on it).

*** So, if I strip it from MTV, would you feel that it somehow meaningfully degraded MTV's usesfulness to YOU?***
(please base your response on actual use you've made of the feature, prior to this post ;~)

(MTV outputs 4&5 Sample Screen.png)

(MTV outputs 4&5 Help.png)

Attachments
Attachments MTV outputs 4&5 Sample Screen.png (27KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments MTV outputs 4&5 Help.png (103KB - 3 downloads)
JimDean
Posted 9/20/2017 12:56 PM (#8975 - in reply to #8974)

Owner/Admin

I haven't gotten very many responses to the question in this thread's prior post ... the subject is important, since it will determine the feature-set in the upcoming MTV release, and what the upgrade pricing (if any) will be. So, please email me right away with your opinions on the matter, since the changes are being locked in over the next 2-3 days.

Major improvement: as I've mentioned a few times already, I'm modifying MTV to work with the new TradeTrak routine. That will help MTV users even if they *don't* get TradeTrak, since the enhanced version of MTV will provide "Stradicator" Trading outputs ... plotted and (if you've an active subscription) available via return-values for Focus List, Scan, FilterBlock, and many other uses within OT/VT. I'm planning on reporting nine Stradicator Trade-Events/States, all of which will be based on the Trend and Volatility states that MTV determines. Those will be:
9=reversals, 8=initial-entry, 7=addon-entry, 6=alert(pre-entry), 5=in-trade,
4=warn(pre-exit), 3=partial-profit-exit, 2=partial-loss-exit, 1=full-exit, 0=not-in-trade
... you will be able to use this info (via plots) to do discretionary trading based purely on MTV ... or with an active subscription, you'll be able to implement these return values as scans, system-entries, and stop-exits for a fully-automated strategy

Since I believe this information represents a major improvement to the usefulness of MTV, existing MTV owners will have the OPTION to activate it for a small upgrade fee (free for Director's Group members of course). There will be NO fee for current owners to get the 2017-compiled DLL's, if you don't choose that new option.

However ... and this is what I really could use some feedback from y'all about ... I still haven't decided whether to simply remove the current-version's profit/loss-plotting (output options 4-7 described in prior post), or to replace it with new logic based on these enhanced Stradicator signals, or to "meld" the old and the new together ... which is the most time-consuming option.

If I get few or no emails that tell me you have already been using options 4-7 in real trading, and that the info in those options has had a demonstrably beneficial impact on your trading, then I will take the simplest route and just eliminate the choices that aren't being used (I'm trying to simplify wherever I can).
... however ... I don't want to get a bunch of "complaint" emails in the case that I go this route, after the new version is completed. So ... fair warning ... if any of you really are depending on options 4-7 right now, and if you don't email me to let me know about it ... then please don't complain later!

Final note: the optional, separate TradeTrak routine will utilize the new 0-9 Stradicator outputs as the starting point for really sophisticated trading-strategy implementation, including equity curve analysis to optionally control entry/exit, and dynamic-scans to find the best Focus List to use with the strategy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )
Frozen

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.