Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  General Discussion -> News for Everyone -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

Ecclesiastes 7:8 (NKJV) ... The end of a thing is better than its beginning; the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.

Nirvana Bash 2015
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 2/20/2015 5:01 PM (#6144)
Subject: Nirvana Bash 2015

Owner/Admin

Nirvana's annual meeting in Austin will be Sat June 6 (eve) thru Mon June 8 this year. As usual, I'll be giving a free seminar on Sat afternoon at the Marriott hotel, before the bus leaves for the barbeque. I'll be setting up around noon, and we will start around 1pm ... done around 5:30. Everyone is welcome, but since in past years we've ended up pretty much filling the room, please email me (hvacsage@yahoo.com) to let me know you are planning to come, let me know who you're bringing, and give me your cell# in case of confusion.

ALSO, as has been our regular custom, a group of us will be heading over to the steak house for dinner on Sunday night - it's a pleasant walk after a long meeting day, the food is good, and it's yet another time to get to know folks better. Please let me know if you want to come to that ... it seems the group grows every year and I need to call ahead to reserve the back room.

If you're not currently a Nirvana Club member, but would like a free invitation to the Bash, let me know and I'll set it up for you. It's always interesting, and it's great to meet new people, or put a face to those you've just gotten to know on forums. I've gotten some hints from Ed about what will be announced ... it sounds like a Bash that will well be worth attending.

Finally, if anyone would like to share a cab or can offer a ride from the airport to the hotel please either post here or email me. I'll be arriving in Austin at 9:44am on Delta 1868, and need to get to the hotel by about 11:30. Cab fare is about $70 as I recall, so it's smart to share!

I'll post more, later, about the seminar topic(s) ... but it's a smart idea to make reservations soon - there's a special deal for rooms - see the next post ...

I hope to see you there!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimDean
Posted 2/20/2015 5:05 PM (#6145 - in reply to #6144)

Owner/Admin

Here's the info from Nirvana ...

The Bash events include a social and dinner on Saturday, June 6 from 6:30pm - 8:30pm at the Nirvana Offices.

This year's Bash will be held on June 7 and June 8 at the Austin Marriott North. The Bash will be held Sunday and Monday from 9am to 4pm.

The hotel information for the Bash is:

Austin Marriott North
2600 La Frontera Blvd.
Round Rock, TX 78681
800-228-9290
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ausno-austin-marriott-north/

$119/night discounted rate is available - just mention you are with the Nirvana Club Bash group.
You must make your reservation by May 25th to receive the discount.

A dedicated website is now available for you to book your hotel room online. Please use the link below to make your reservation online:
https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=137...

For anyone that wishes to bring a laptop, wireless Internet can be obtained through the hotel for $9.95 per day - (but it's free if you book thru Marriott - JD). You do not need a computer for the Bash, but you are welcome to bring one.

Please call our sales team at 800-880-0338 if you have any questions.
JimDean
Posted 2/20/2015 5:09 PM (#6146 - in reply to #6145)

Owner/Admin

Reasons to come to the Bash:

1. Meet your fellow TradeTight participants, and other NClub members
2. Come to the free TradeTight Sat afternoon meeting (agenda provided in later post)
3. Meet Nirvana staff (they are all there and all available)
4. Learn about the newest features of the software, from the project leaders & developers
5. Learn about new things planned for the upcoming year
6. Join us for a GROUP MEAL on Sun night at a nearby steakhouse (a tradition!)
7. Free Sat night Bar-B-Que in courtyard of Nirvana's offices
8. Get to know, and learn from, some really skilled traders and OT users
9. Toss around trading ideas, and how to use OT to implement them
10. Lots of new info and features and discussion this year about OmniVest

Special Bash-weekend discounts on software. Nicely bound book of slides.
JimDean
Posted 3/12/2015 12:27 PM (#6174 - in reply to #6146)

Owner/Admin

Re - Topic of Mtg - revised somewhat after hearing from Ed and your votes - see a couple of posts below this one

I've decided on a very broad topic for Sat afternoon Bash seminar for this year ... you're all invited ... please email me if you plan to come (and if you plan to bring friends) - I need this for a seating count. Refer to details in prior posts of this thread. Please do let others know ... Nirvana does not permit announcements like this on their forums.

The topic will cover a group of "seminal" enhancements which I've been working on over the past several years. By "seminal", I am referring to unique new "core" concepts and capabilities, which can potentially be used to enhance most any existing strategy component. I'll present the math and reasoning behind them (so you can "do it yourself" if you feel so-inclined), and several fully-developed routines that you can make use of to incorporate them in your own strategies.

At the simplest level, I'll discuss the benefits of using alternative pricepoints (ie other than Close), notably the by-now familiar "Guts" price, an improved version of the "Momentum" price, plus two new "Weighted Guts" variants (weighting via StoWma or Volume).

From there, I'll present the benefits and importance of the "StoW" moving average ... a sliding scale between SMA and WMA ... with nifty formulae for fast calculations. We will see why a fixed-window MA is surprisingly important to use for strategy stability and reliable backtesting (versus infinite-series EMA & others). The importance of including "warmup" boundaries is a key part of this.

Building on those concepts, we'll take a fresh look at Heikin-Ashi bars, noting their value and also the hidden issues (especially lag) that come with them. The critical importance of using warmup (better, a Reference Bar) to validate the HA construction will be highlighted. I will present a unique new alternative to HA ... "Guts-Momentum" bars, which offer similar benefits of HA, without their hidden issues.

Another new innovation will be presented ... the "FuzzyDoji". I've always taught that the market has THREE states ... not just Bull and Bear, but also "Crab" (aka consolidation, flat, sideways, transitional, etc - crabs move in odd directions and can bite you). FuzzyDoji implements that concept at a bar-by-bar level, creating a THIRD candle-direction ... not just bull/green= Up and bear/red= Down, but also crab/yellow= FuzzyDoji. The classic "doji" requires a bar where O=C ... actually, Steve Nison describes it more generally as Open "not much different from" Close. I've created expert-system rules for identifying FuzzyDoji's ... ie which bars are "effectively inconclusive" as to their directionality. The rules provide a very simple user-controlled sliding scale to increase/decrease the number of bars that are identified as FuzzyDoji's.

The FuzzyDoji concept is probably one of the most important things we will discuss, since it can be used not only to enhance existing tools and strategies, but offers a springboard for significant new entry, filtering and exit algorithms. It also offers further resolution ... "Directional Doji's" ... ie bars which are FuzzyDoji's re their Body (O2C) size, but show clear directionality vs the prior bar or vs a run of prior FD's. So ... the classic "red/green" two-state bar now can be seen as three different states (Up/Dn/Fuzzy) ... with the third one (Fuzzy) having three variants: UpDoji, DownDoji, and PlainDoji. I've even come up with an easy-to remember color scheme that clarifies these distinctions on the chart.

Moving on from there, we'll consider higher-timeframe "BigBrick" construction, accessible from within the current-timeframe, so that indicators, systems and stops can evaluate multiple timeframes in their decision-making, without having to resort to OT's relatively slow and limited "current+N" options. That is, starting from any displayed timeframe (daily+, or intraday), you can evaluate "bricks" of bars which are integer-multiples of the current timeframe. I'll describe how this is accomplished, and the critical importance of using a YyMmDd Reference Bar to create stable outputs.

BigBricks can be used very effectively for enhancing system-entry and strategy-filter rules, especially when combined with the new PricePoints, Heikin-Ashi, Guts-Momentum and Fuzzy-Doji capabilities described earlier. Additionally, an entirely new family of PricePoints become available with BigBricks ... Weighted Guts Prices. The Guts prices of all the bars which make up the BigBrick are combined by one of six methods, ranging from SMA to WMA to Volume-based weighting, to produce a truly representative "pricepoint" for the brick. You might find it useful to think of this as a "poor man's Value Line".

I'll demonstrate how higher-timeframe BigBricks can be displayed on the current-timeframe price chart, at the same time that the underlying bars are visible. Complete with the new colors used for the three new FuzzyDoji Brick distinctions. We'll discuss an important nuance ... what to do about an "incomplete brick" at the HRE.

From the BigBrick construction (but applying also to single-bar Bricks), I'll show you two new, powerful Indicators that can serve as either the prime basis for entries/exits, or used to enhance other systems and stops. The first is "RunTracker" ... it reports a tally of how many sequential bars/bricks are the same Up/Down/FuzzyDoji state (FD's make this really valuable). Unlike classic tools of this nature, RunTracker considers both the bar direction and also the change in whatever PricePoint you've settled on. This removes noise and presents a clear picture of what's going on. The second new Indicator is a much-enhanced version of OBV ... "NormalizedOBV" ... it calc's On Balance Volume in a way that permits comparisons between symbols, and much more. NobV also offers an output value derived from the slope and HHV/LLV channels, classifying the "state" in seven steps from very bullish to very bearish. Again, FuzzyDoji concepts are incorporated.

I've got a feeling that those topics will fully consume the time we will have available to us ... but there is more that comes out of this ... enhanced, stable NTB's (Renko, Range, LineBreak, Volume and Point&Figure) that can be implemented in the same way as BigBricks, without the problems that plague NTB use in strategies on all (afaik) other platforms. If I have time, I'll discuss that as well.
JimDean
Posted 5/26/2015 9:03 AM (#6260 - in reply to #6174)

Owner/Admin

Less than two weeks to the Bash!

This is a reminder about the free Saturday afternoon TradeTight seminar at the Bash hotel, before the barbecue that night. We meet in the Austin room just off the main lobby, from 1pm-5:30pm.

It's important to register if you are coming so we can arrange appropriate seating. If you have not already done so, please email me (hvacsage@yahoo.com) right away, to tell me you will be coming ... and also let me know if you want to join us on Sun night for dinner at the nearby steakhouse. See detailed info in prior posts of this thread.

For (a lot) more info re the Bash and the seminar topics, view the posts before this in this thread. Also, please tell your friends since I can't announce this on the N forums.

Breaking news: Ed called me last night to request a short MarketStates presentation on Monday morning as well. I've sent an email out to people who are attending on Sat, to ask if a change should be made to the Sat-afternoon topics, in conjunction with that. Please check your email for that "vote" request and respond asap. Thanks.

I hope to see you soon!
JimDean
Posted 6/2/2015 5:55 PM (#6271 - in reply to #6260)

Owner/Admin

The votes are in ... there was a very strong majority for providing in-depth coverage of the latest and greatest Market States evaluation methods ... much-enhanced from the early presentations, very easy to use, and fully/comparably applicable to OT/VT and to OVest. So, I'll spend the latter half of the time on the "MTV" (Market Trend & Volatility) tools, and the first half on some of the originally-planned concepts. (note ... the talk I'm giving on Monday morning will only be half an hour of conceptual prep for the presentations by others that follow it - it will not be about the tools.)
JimDean
Posted 6/2/2015 8:29 PM (#6272 - in reply to #6271)

Owner/Admin

Any of you who are flying (or driving ;~) in for the Bash on Saturday morning ... I'll be arriving in Austin at 9:44am on Delta 1868, and need to get to the hotel by about 11:30. Cab fare is about $70 as I recall, so it's smart to share! Please email me if your arrival time will make it convenient for us to share a cab.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.