Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  Optimizing OmniVest -> Logical Lists -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

Matthew 25:16,21 (ESV) … He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more … his master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’

Which List Type: Dynamic or Static?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 8/4/2014 9:49 AM (#5939)
Subject: Which List Type: Dynamic or Static?

Owner/Admin

Sliced bread.
In my opinion, OmniVest DynamicLists are the best thing since.
(So to speak :-)

For years, OT and VT have been missing what I've often referred to as a "Pre-Filter" block - that is, an operation that could be built into an OT Strategy which would, *bar-by-bar*, filter a very large "population" of Symbols down to an intelligently-focused list, usually including price and liquidity limits, and often also including "price personality" behavior filters.

That is, back testable, dynamically changing OmniScan.

Finally, via OmniVest, we have it - DynamicLists. This feature is one of the most valuable and significant capabilities of OVest. It overcomes concerns related to "hindsight" when using popular filtered lists such as the current SP-100. It auto-shifts to and from symbols whose price and liquidity vary over time. It allows for generalized price-behavior evaluations to be implemented "behind the scenes" without forcing the user to continually adjust things.

DynamicLists can be used to continuously and automatically tailor the SYMBOLS being considered TO the strategies that the trader considers to be most worthwhile.

The value of this cannot be overstated. It "completes the circle", conceptually - normally people spend huge amounts of time to develop or tune system entry & exit logic to get better performance from a given static list of symbols. DynamicLists allow the trader to start with a "good entry exit model" (aka "System" in OVest), and tailor the symbols to it, on a bar by bar basis.

The cool thing about this is that since the symbol-selection tuning is based on OScript formulae, the logic that works well in the past is likely to work similarly well in the future (that is, re symbol selection - YMMV, as Keith likes to say, for actual profitability).

So, without apology, I'm a fan of DynamicLists. And in the TT world, there will be a lot of effort out into their development and use.

What about static lists? Welllll, the short answer, in my book, is for the most part to avoid them. But there are some exceptions:
1. If your strategy is focused on a particular Industry Group, then since the MG lists rarely change, that might be cause for using a Static list.
2. If you want to do relatively "random testing", then use of the chopped-up Russell lists that OVest provides can be useful.
3. If you deliberately focus on trading only a small set of symbols (like major eminis or forex), then a custom static list is clearly the way to go.

Much more to be said about this!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.