Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  Optimizing OmniVest -> OmniVest Operations -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

Psalm 37:5 (NKJV) ... Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will bring it to pass.

Shades of Gray on OVest Equity Charts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 4/28/2014 1:54 PM (#5825)
Subject: Shades of Gray on OVest Equity Charts

Owner/Admin

There has been a lot of discussion/confusion/speculation about this in the OVest forum. I'm about 95% confident that I finally understand it, and since it's not documented anywhere I can find, here is my best shot at an explanation ... I will correct it if necessary, of course:

When a strategy is being developed in OT, prior to adding it to OVest as a System, there is a process of tuning (largely via OT's Strategy Wizard) that utilizes a range of dates. As long as that date range is very large, and as long as the gains from the strategy are not largely due to a few "fluke winners" during that time, then although this is a form of "curve fitting", it's not a bad thing at all ... the strategy is being massaged to work well across many different market conditions.

Many strategies were released at the same time in a batch ... and any of those that the Port/Acct uses which are the EARLIEST ones released amongst those used by the Port/Acct, will create a "dark gray" zone starting on the far left of the equity chart, and ending at the date when the early-batch combo were released (I suppose the historical-development date range possibly could end before the OVest release date, if the SW runs covered a range of time short of that date).

Some strategies MIGHT be used by the client in their Port/Acct which were released AFTER the initial batch. Therefore, their "live" date (live = initial availability to OVest users) will be LATER than the live date of the first batch. IF the Port/Account has a "range" of live-release dates like this, then a LIGHT GRAY area will appear on the RIGHT of the darker gray area, showing the span of time during which the newer OVest Systems utilized by that Port/Acct first became available.

To the right of the gray area(s), the background is white ... that is, ALL of the OVest Systems running during that time period are "beyond" their "development-tuning" date range. Nirvana has told us that it is their intention never to change a System after it's initially been released ... that is, they don't intend to continually re-tune it. If they wanted to, I suspect that they would just give the retuned version of that system a new code-name, so we'd have one more to choose from.

If the Settings range includes dates that are BEFORE the live-release of some of the Systems in the Port/Acct, a dark gray area might appear ... and possibly also a light gray area. But if the Settings are a smaller time window, beginning after the latest release of any of the Systems used in the Port/Acct, then NO gray areas will show up.

Thread moved by JimDean on 8/4/2014 8:53 AM from Markets & Methods > OmniVest, Money Mgmt & Risk Control > Shades of Gray on OVest Equity Charts

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimDean
Posted 4/28/2014 2:10 PM (#5826 - in reply to #5825)
Subject: Shades of Gray on OVest Equity Charts

Owner/Admin

Here is a nifty picture provided by Mark Holstius on the OVest discussion thread, that shows successively tighter "zooms" on the equity curve display ... I added a few comments to tie in with my boxed description in the prior post:

(Grey_areas_expanded-1.png)

Thread moved by JimDean on 8/4/2014 8:53 AM from Markets & Methods > OmniVest, Money Mgmt & Risk Control > Shades of Gray on OVest Equity Charts

Attachments
Attachments Grey_areas_expanded-1.png (693KB - 3 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.