Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  Markets & Methods -> General Methodology Discussions -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

1 Cor 15:58 (NET) ... Always be outstanding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

Short Term Vs. Long Term Strategies
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
RoyWild
Posted 3/29/2014 7:02 PM (#5722)
Subject: Short Term Vs. Long Term Strategies

Veteran

Hi All

Would like to hear your thoughts on general view on strategy for Stocks.

I see Nirvana always gearing towards very quick gains (very short term trading) - all their "big strategies" are based on high hit rate.
Versus more of a longer term strategies - low hit rate but high R/R. OV strategies and other Nirvana products seems to achieve those nice smooth curves with short term gains.

What is your general approach?
Is it possible to even achieve those nice curves from Nirvana with longer term strategies?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JeremyLane
Posted 3/30/2014 4:07 PM (#5723 - in reply to #5722)

Spectator

I agree with your perspective on Nirvana. Eg. in OV it only allows daily timeframes and at a cursory level, it seems to have more reversion to mean systems than others.

I find it easier to produce profitable systems using a weekly timeframe than a daily timeframe. It may be because I have a preference for trending systems. A significant contributor to the profitability the type of systems that I create is having a macro filter based on the overall condition of the market eg. If the index is trending up then it is ok to go long on stocks.

BTW I can never produce those great equity curves that Nirvana does.
RoyWild
Posted 3/30/2014 7:37 PM (#5724 - in reply to #5723)

Veteran

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for sharing.

I have experience the same findings - where weekly systems works best on stocks, but even though the systems I trade are profitable I have not find anything close to the equity curves /returns from the Nirvana Systems in OV or the systems they sell separately. Granted I have only tested trend following type of strategies, I have not research any reversion to the mean ones.

So I was wondering if the key to consistent wealth building is really on reversion to the mean strategies or Short Term strategies rahter than trend following or long term strategies.

Hope some others can shed some light or share more thoughts.

Thank you in advance

JeremyLane
Posted 4/11/2014 6:16 PM (#5773 - in reply to #5724)

Spectator

There are times when trending strategies will outperform RTM strategies so perhaps the path to wealth building is to have a portfolio of different strategies and optimise allocations based on recent performance.

This is where I hope Omnivest will help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.