Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  General Discussion -> Operating System & Software -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

James 1:5 (NIV) ... If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

VMware and Strategy Wizard
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 5/15/2016 12:44 PM (#8181)
Subject: VMware and Strategy Wizard

Owner/Admin

Recently a small group of MTV users has begun a long journey, running a long series of tests, applying MTV to (eventually) all the Strategies that Nirvana has distributed, seeking to further improve their performance. This project will last a long time - so we have been seeking to carefully organize and streamline the process to assure reliable conclusions and to minimize execution time.

Steve Luerman has been trying out VMware partitions running multiple instances of OT Strategy Wizard on the same machine. Among other things, he's been comparing performance with a single-partition Laptop, and comparing executing speed of both computers with and without Hyperthreading.

The next post has been extracted from that discussion, since it clearly has significant value to others who might want to do a *lot* of StratWiz runs as quickly as possible. If you have an interest in this and want to chafe advice or experiences, please feel free!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SteveLuerman
Posted 5/15/2016 12:50 PM (#8180 - in reply to #8181)
Subject: VMware and Strategy Wizard

Elite

An update on Hyperthreading with an SW workload.

On 5/11/2016, I changed the BIOS on my DesktopPC to NOT use Hyperthreading. This is my primary household server. So, it does a variety of tasks. And now, for this exercise, I'm running OT SW non-stop as well as a VM running OT SW non-stop. With this configuration and workload, the machine was less responsive to keyboard and mouse input, as well as other visibly slower responses.

Over this time, I've been observing the time per permutation in the SW tests on both the host and the VM. And I've comparing it with my laptop whose BIOS is also configured to NOT use Hyperthreading. The laptop's time per SW permutation is consistently lower, but it also is not busy with as much other stuff.

This morning, I've switched the DesktopPC back to Hyperthreading. So far, it is normally responsive even with the host and VM OT SW instances running. So, I'll leave it at this setting.

But the really interesting thing, is that at the moment, both the Desktop OT SW and the VM OT SW instances are running much faster (less time per SW permutation) than they were in the non-Hyperthreading configuration. And overall CPU usage is varying in the 50-80% range, rather than pinned at 100%. And also, suprisingly, both the host and VM OT SW's have permutation times that are comparable to the Laptop, only 20% longer. If this continues, this is a clearly superior configuration for running multiple SW runs (utilizing a VM or two in addition to the host) with higher overall productivity.

When the current SW run completes on the laptop, I'll also switch it back to Hyperthreading, and observe and compare to its non-hyperthreading performance.

I'll continue to observe and learn. The pros and cons of Hyperthreading are extremely dependent on the workload mix on the PC and the number of cores. So, I'd say each should evaluate their situation rather than say that one or the other is better or worse for all situations.

NOTE: I've also stopped OT and restarted both the PC and OT and the VM. So, cruft may have built up that has now been flushed. We'll see over time. Also, these are general observations. I'm not doing a strictly controlled study. Too many other factors are part of this whole process, so these are my general impression comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.