Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  General Discussion -> Getting Started with OT & Trading -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

John 6:27 (NIV) ... Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.

Sticky Need "private" help on a specific Q?
Frozen
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
JimDean
Posted 2/16/2011 12:18 PM (#1982)
Subject: Need "private" help on a specific Q?

Owner/Admin

I enjoy helping people. I enjoy teaching, especially when the focus is to build practical skillsets and understanding in others, so that they can become self-sufficient. And I feel good about doing this, as much as I can, as a free "contribution" to the community.

However, as for everyone, my time is limited. And, my interests although broad, do not extend to every nook and cranny of trading. Finally, I do have my own idiosyncrasies and trading rules … and a personal life, too :-)

So, I've found / carved out a path that works for me, to be able to help folks as efficiently as possible, yet not become overburdened, nor become frustrated or bored. It's a tricky mix to figure out.

Here's my approach:

1. I never ever discuss my personal trading, nor do I give advice to people about what trades they should take or specific methods they should use to the exclusion of others. This rule is mainly due to my own psychology - I've learned that when I do any of those things, it messes with MY head.

2. I actively participate in public forums that deal with the software I am currently using. I try to answer questions, and post useful tutorials, and make suggestions for improvements both to the software itself and regarding how to use it. I try to be clear about the difference between what I "know" and what I am "guessing". I do this on forums in preference to private communications since by doing so it helps the most people with the least effort. I also prefer regular email for private communications, rather than using PM of the forums. (See #6 below.)

3. Since the process of #2 is somewhat haphazard, and since many topics call for extended, ground-up, organized *teaching* rather than just an "answer", I've made a practice over the years of doing videotaped training courses around skillset-topics, and distributing them at a very very low cost (compared to normal industry pricing). This gives me a vehicle to communicate extensive information to lots of people, without having to continually repeat myself and rehash existing content. TradeTight is set up with this in mind.

4. Another problem I have tried to address is that written information on Forums will quickly get lost in the shuffle and over the years. This means that newcomers keep asking the same questions over and over, and that "pearls" get buried. To help with that, I've created this very highly structured Forum, so that gradually the info can accumulate as a useful "knowledgebase". The majority of the areas in the forum are open to everyone to view. The right to make postings and take downloads from those areas are free for anyone who wants to register.

5. Also in this Forum I've made provisions for groups of people to "set up shop" if they want to interact in a forum environment, but with self-imposed exposure limits to just who can participate in their Special Interest group. It takes a lot of work and no little expense to set up a Forum like this - so by adding this feature, I'm trying to help others not to have to reinvent the wheel.

6. Occasionally I will do some contract-programming for people who pretty much know what they want to do with OT, but don't have the skills (or time) to mechanize or automate it. Usually I do this for a flat fee, agreed to in advance, for a fixed scope. Anyone interested in this should contact me privately via email (hvacsage@yahoo.com). The minimum contact I consider is $300, and I typically charge $60/hr for programming work. I have limited time available for this but I do usually enjoy doing it.

7. As you probably figured out from all that I've previously said, I do not do "personal coaching" for trading. Lots of reasons. I've tried in the past and found that it is just not my cup of tea. Hopefully, by means of these other mechanisms, I can accomplish most of that effect for a larger number of people.

It's a high compliment, I think, to be asked to help in ANY way, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm "snubbing" them when I can't allocate time to deal with a particular issue or concern. I've tried to follow these guidelines to maximize the benefit I can provide within the time I have available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )
Frozen

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.