Search | User Listing Vidsite | Calendars | Quotes
Home Page ->  VT-Specific Features -> Opportunity List -> View ThreadLogon (or Register, or Join TradeTight)

You are logged in as a limited-access Guest.To join TradeTight, first read the info in the Organization & Content room, then click the link above. 

John 6:27 (NIV) ... Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.

Composite Leading Ind
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
Jump to room :
RoyWild
Posted 5/18/2014 2:09 PM (#5877)
Subject: Composite Leading Ind

Veteran

Hi All

Im doing some testing with VT on the Composite Leading feature in the Opporunity list.

Im using Daily, Weekly and Monthly charts on the simulation mode. Im ranking the list by the composite to bring the strongest stocks (with volatility breakout)

Since Composite Leading Indicator will take in consideration the three time frames that I have selected, by running the simulation mode would I be then looking at the future ? and thus my testing would not reflect reality?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimDean
Posted 5/18/2014 2:22 PM (#5878 - in reply to #5877)

Owner/Admin

Good question ... same would apply re Lab mode in OT. Depends on whether the higher timeframe bars are built on a "previous bar" or "dynamic bar" or "legacy bar" basis. If either of the first two, you're OK. I think you'll have to post this in the OT/VT forums so that Barry can ask the developers. I suggest you mention the distinction that I wrote in the second sentence above. Let us know what you hear.
RoyWild
Posted 5/18/2014 2:31 PM (#5879 - in reply to #5878)

Veteran

Thank you Jim - just posted in the VT.

Quick Question - legacy bar is that current bar?

Thanks
JimDean
Posted 5/18/2014 2:39 PM (#5880 - in reply to #5879)

Owner/Admin

Legacy is a term used to describe the "old way" that OT evaluated higher-timeframe bars ... it looked into the future during backtests for all but one day of the week or one day of the month. That is, a "legacy" weekly bar is the weekly bar for the calendar week that INCLUDES the current bar. So, if the current bar is a Monday, the legacy weekly bar looks four days into the future. If the current bar is the second day of the month, then the legacy monthly bar looks about twenty days into the future.

"Previous" higher timeframe bars simply use a [1] for the bar ... so it's looking at the last *completed bar* from the higher timeframe, ie last week or last month, in the examples above. "Dynamic" higher timeframe bars use the current bar as the "end" bar of the higher timeframe ... so if today is Monday, then the Dynamic Weekly bar goes from this Monday back through last Tuesday (moves forward with the current bar). Dynamic is the "most powerful", but it takes considerably more CPU time to process.
RoyWild
Posted 6/22/2014 11:36 PM (#5889 - in reply to #5877)

Veteran

Hi all

I spoke to Barry and he was not sure. So I test it by doing the following:

1) Started recording since Jun 2nd daily Opp List ranked by Composite Indicator
2) I tested today every day to see if I will get the same list I was looking at the same day if I used the simulator and rank it based on Composite.

The result is that the list looks dramatically different. So the answer is yes it does look at the future since is taking in consideration formed bars (in my case weekly and Monthly)
So be careful if you are testing Composite Leading Indicator in simulator mode

JimDean
Posted 6/23/2014 5:17 AM (#5890 - in reply to #5889)

Owner/Admin

I wish that Nirvana would:
1. shoot
2. stab
3. poison
4. explode
5. hang
6. melt
7. drown
8. garrote
9. behead
10. suffocate
11. electrocute
12. disintegrate
13. draw and quarter
… the legacy forming bar code completely, from all of its products.

I suggest you publish your results in the N forums and on that basis request a hit man be dispatched. :-)
RoyWild
Posted 6/29/2014 11:13 PM (#5892 - in reply to #5890)

Veteran

Thanks Jim

Here is the post in VT forums

http://www.visualtrader.com/visualtrader/forum/thread-view.asp?thre...
RoyWild
Posted 7/25/2014 4:14 PM (#5910 - in reply to #5892)

Veteran

Hi All

This is an edited post... sorry for the confusion

There is another bug which is the sorting of the leading indicator does not work and is not sorting correctly. Barry reproduced it but is not fixed in VT10.5 and will not be fixed anytime soon. So for now just be aware the sorting of the leading indicator is not working properly in the opportunity list.

Edited by RoyWild 7/26/2014 12:45 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 msgs/pg]
( E-mail a Link | Printer Version | Search Room )

Owner of site: Jim Dean -- Forum content is confidential, and may not be distributed without written permission.