Nirvana "Bash" 2014
JimDean
Posted 3/5/2014 4:03 PM (#5697)
Subject: Nirvana "Bash" 2014

Owner/Admin

Nirvana's annual meeting in Austin will be May 31 - June 2 this year. If you're not currently a NClub member, I can arrange for you to come as an Invited Guest ... if you'd like to, let me know and I'll set it up for you. There is no cost to attend. You just pay for your travel, lodging and meals. I'll explain the benefits of coming, in following posts.

Please drop me an email if you would like to share a cab from the airport to the hotel on Saturday morning.
Here is my flight info, fwiw:
Sat ... 31MAR ... SW#1322 ... LV ATLANTA, GA (ATL) 8:45am ... AR AUSTIN, TX (AUS) 10:15am
Mon ... 02JUN ... AT#5738 ... LV AUSTIN, TX (AUS) 6:00pm ... AR ATLANTA, GA (ATL) 9:10pm ... seat 15D

I will teach a Seminar at the hotel, early on Saturday afternoon (from ~1p to ~5:30p). Everyone is welcome ... but it will help to know who is going to try to come. So, please email me if you would like to attend that meeting - hvacsage@yahoo.com. As in prior years, Nirvana has arranged with the hotel to provide a meeting room for us. I'll post more, later, about the topic for the meeting.

Please let your NClub friends know about the meeting, since Nirvana prefers not to have it announced in their forums. Thanks!

More info in the following postings ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimDean
Posted 3/5/2014 4:13 PM (#5698 - in reply to #5697)

Owner/Admin

Here's what they said in the invitation letter:

Social & Dinner:
Saturday, June 1st 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Nirvana Systems’ Office
7000 N. Mopac – in the courtyard

Bash:
Sunday, June 1st 9am – 4pm
Monday, June 2nd 9am – 4pm

Austin Marriott North
2600 La Frontera Blvd.
Round Rock, TX 78681

Special rates for sleeping rooms:
Saturday, Mar 31st through Monday, June 2nd
$135 single/double occupancy

Call the Marriott at 800-865-0546 to make your hotel reservation.
Be sure to mention that you are part of the Nirvana Systems group.
You must make your reservation by May 10th to receive the discount.

Note from Jim: if you are 62 or older, or if you have AAA, you can arrange a "split rate" so that the first night is about $99 and the second night uses the $135 rate - you need to call in for the reservation to do that - saves $36+tax
JimDean
Posted 3/5/2014 4:42 PM (#5699 - in reply to #5698)

Owner/Admin

Reasons to come to the Bash:

1. Meet your fellow TradeTight participants, and other NClub members
2. Come to the free TradeTight Sat afternoon meeting (agenda provided in later post)
3. Meet Nirvana staff (they are all there and all available)
4. Learn about the newest features of the software, from the project leaders & developers
5. Learn about new things planned for the upcoming year
6. Join us for a GROUP MEAL on Sun night at a nearby steakhouse (a tradition!)
7. Free Sat night Bar-B-Que in courtyard of Nirvana's offices
8. Get to know, and learn from, some really skilled traders and OT users
9. Toss around trading ideas, and how to use OT to implement them
10. Lots of new info and features and discussion this year about OmniVest

Special Bash-weekend discounts on software. Nicely bound book of slides.
JimDean
Posted 3/8/2014 8:24 PM (#5700 - in reply to #5699)

Owner/Admin

I confirmed the BASH Sat afternoon TradeTight meeting with the hotel - we will be in the same place as last year - the "Austin Room". The actual meeting will be approx 1:30p to 5:00p … I'll be in there from about 12:30 through 5:30 (bus for the barbecue at the Nirvana offices leaves at six).

Important - please email me (hvacsage at yahoo dot com) as soon as you get your travel plans made, so I have a head-count. We should have plenty of room, but the room setup depends on expected attendance. Please include your cellphone number in your email, and about what time you expect to arrive.

It's perfectly OK to come in after we start, if your travel plans don't allow you to get there early enough. We'll be in "how ya doin' these days" mode from about 12:30p-1:30p. It's a great time to see old friends and make new ones.

Prior posts in this thread give details - nutshell:
1. Seminar is free - Topics will be Sizing and Market State (see post below for more info)
2. My flight info posted earlier - let me know if you want to share a cab
3. Join us for our traditional walk to the steakhouse for Sun night dinner (email me)
4. Computer not req'd for seminar but there will be tables (no power strips tho)
5. Please let friends know since this isn't posted in Nirvana forums
… note - Nirvana approves of this - they just don't want 3rd-pty stuff on their forum …
JimDean
Posted 3/25/2014 11:04 AM (#5713 - in reply to #5700)

Owner/Admin

Reminder:
Please let me know if you're planning on coming to the Bash ... info re our special Sat afternoon and Sun evening activities are posted earlier in this thread. Email: hvacsage at yahoo dot com

I've been hearing about some very exciting stuff that might be ready by the Bash (or announced and discussed) ... and not just about OmniVest. I'd encourage you all to come if you can. It's always a good time to meet new friends and renew acquaintances. If you're not a NClub member but would like to come, let me know and I'll get you registered (it's free).

Don't Fly Delta:
After many years of offering a convenient flight out of Austin to Atlanta in the early evening, so that there was no rush to leave the Bash early, Delta has cancelled that flight. Now, their latest one leaves at 4:30 or so. I called them and told them I could not make the earlier time, and they gave me a full refund on my nonrefundable tickets. I changed my reservations to Southwest (ATL-AUS) and AirTran(AUS-ATL) ... flight leaves Monday at 6pm ... more convenience at $60 lower cost - plus free checked bags and ability to change flights at no charge. I corrected my itinerary in the first post of the thread. If anyone wants to share a cab, please email me.
JimDean
Posted 4/16/2014 9:59 PM (#5793 - in reply to #5713)

Owner/Admin

Hi, everyone:

Here's another reminder to join us from ~1p to ~5:30p Saturday afternoon at the "2014 Bash" Marriott hotel for a FREE TradeTight seminar. A nice room has been reserved (same one as last two years). Please EMAIL ME if you think you can make it (hvacsage@yahoo.com).

THE TOPICS OF THE MEETING - and FREE giveaways to attendees:

1. Finish up the Position Sizing discussion that we started last year ... I'll present you with the OmniScript-driven position sizing formula that I sent to Ed for OmniVest use, and which he said he'd implement (eventually). I'll also present an OLang Indicator that does the same thing inside OT, which can be used as the basis for a Focus List column that TELLS YOU HOW MANY SHARES to trade for whatever symbol you are looking at, based on the SmartSizing rules I've been explaining, using and enhancing for many years.

2. A very powerful outgrowth of the Position Sizing methodology is the LiquiTurns filter, which can be used in OT (Scans or Filter Blocks) and OVest (Conditions or Dynamic Lists). This is much "safer" than conventional arbitrary Volume or Cashflow rules, since it accounts for all the key factors that matter to you in your trading. I present OmniScripts that can be used in OT and in OVest ... there is one significant difference between them that you'll learn about.

3. I'll present the concepts behind the Nine Market States ("simplified") which I've recently posted about, and provide WORKING OScript formulae that can be used in OVest, OScan, etc. This will involve presentations about alternative sets of Moving Average periods and calc types, as well as demonstrations about the effects of using FuzzFac and/or Boolean-Math Voting, both of which are discussed in the writeup here: http://tradetight.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1062

I will give free personal-use-only copies software to attendees of the relevant portions of the session::
1. OScript formula and its OLang counterpart for SmartSize Position Sizing
2. OScript formulae for LiquiTurns filtering - two versions one for OmniScan another for OVest DynLists
3. OScript formulae for Market States filters, useful for OScan, or as OVest conditions, or for OVest DynLists

PLEASE email me if you are going to come. Let me know if you're likely to be a bit late (that's fine, but I need a headcount - the last few years it's gotten bigger each year, and we've had to change to a larger room twice now.
JimDean
Posted 5/8/2014 3:48 PM (#5858 - in reply to #5793)

Owner/Admin

Here is the "final reminder" about the opportunity to join us on the Sat afternoon prior to the Bash for a free TradeTight seminar. Please read through the prior posts for info re times, and topics, and Sunday night dinner together, and hotel accommodations, etc.

It's looking like the Bash is a bit smaller than prior years ... Ed said 80 had signed up. So far, there are 20 of us who are planning to be there on Saturday: Tom Twiford, Glenn Sampson, Steve Luerman, Bruce Britt, Bob Templeton, Ray Wilson, Gerry Heiling, Tim Wilson, Dale Bokhart + 2-3, LD Newby, Mel Dickover, Bob Vogler, Larry Luck + 1, Jarrod Megert, Salim Hira, and Jim Dean ;~)

If your name's not on that list, PLEASE EMAIL ME so I can arrange things accordingly. Very soon, I need to call the hotel and lock in the final choice for the room. If we have only 20 people, I can use a different room and save some money ... but I'm happy to have more of you, if you want to come!

Please let your friends know, and ... again ... if you are NOT currently a Nirvana Club member, I can get you an invitation for the Bash ... which is really fun, especially if you've never come before.
JimDean
Posted 5/27/2014 11:13 AM (#5883 - in reply to #5858)

Owner/Admin

I expanded the list of Topics to be covered, now that I'm in the final throes of pulling it together ... see the post about Topics, above.

For all of you who have signed up ... could you please email me if you prefer for me NOT to spend much time on OVest-related applications during the seminar ... that is, if you're not an OVest subscriber, and only will be interested in OT-specific information.

My plan at this time is to structure things around OT solutions, but to also pursue/enhance those topics as they apply to OVest. I'm shooting for about 70% applicable to OT, and about 70% applicable to OVest.

If you do email me, please remind me whether you will be there for the full session (1p-5:30p), or just for the second half.

Thanks!